a few questions about VPS

himagain

As a refugee from overloaded, badly managed Shared Hosting, and definitely no geek, I have recently spent a great deal of time "playing" with VPS hosts.
I have a new rule regarding hosting companies:
even if they don't own their own DC, they must at least own their own equipment!
Oh, and they should have at least survived the standard "wet-world", initial two years of start up pain.
(This of course, eliminates over 92% of all the D Tier resellers)
So, here I am!:)

What I need is a small VPS for me to begin with and I have these few questions:

1. I have become reasonably familiar with Kloxo and it would be my management program of choice. OK?
2. I would like to have a server that is running Lightspeed, from everything I have read. Can do?
3. And from my reading, I also should have NGINX, whatever that is. :) This too?
4. And it goes without saying, that all of this should be happening on CentOS and OpenVZ.
5. And although I have absolutely no interest in ever going near reselling again, :-{
I do need to host many of my own domains which are all used for testmarketing as required and have experienced extreme delays in domain name propagation, especially from 1&1, where a many days turnaround is common. What is the situation if I opt to use your Name Servers?

Ever the eternal optimist,
Himagain

Quags

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks for your questions and considering InterServer.

1. I have become reasonably familiar with Kloxo and it would be my management program of choice. OK?
Kloxo is supported, and our support can help install it. It requires Centos 5 to install, which is not the default OS we offer but can be selected on the order. CentOS 6 is the current stable version we offer, although 5 is still supported and gets security updates. For kloxo 2 slices is recommended.

2. I would like to have a server that is running Lightspeed, from everything I have read. Can do?
I would not recommend this on a VPS. Apache is the default for kloxo and generally good enough. I am not certain if litespeed integrates easily into kloxo like it does for cpanel and directadmin panels. Litespeed cost vs performance gain on a VPS in my opinion is not worth. On a dedicated server with a high amount of traffic Litespeed might be a better choice.

3. And from my reading, I also should have NGINX, whatever that is. :) This too?
NGINX is a webserver like apache (and litespeed). I have not integrated it into kloxo before. Running apache on kloxo would be my recommendation.

4. And it goes without saying, that all of this should be happening on CentOS and OpenVZ.
You can find out more about our virtualization differences at http://www.interserver.net/xen-vs-kvm-vs-openvz-vs-vmware-vs-cloud

OpenVZ is our most popular platform.

5. And although I have absolutely no interest in ever going near reselling again, :-{
I do need to host many of my own domains which are all used for testmarketing as required and have experienced extreme delays in domain name propagation, especially from 1&1, where a many days turnaround is common. What is the situation if I opt to use your Name Servers?
For propagation expect around 24 hours. You can use our dns servers for free following this tutorial http://www.interserver.net/forum/threads/using-cdns1-cnds2-cdns3-interserver-net.1/ right from your https://my.interserver.net portal.

Carlos Sura

Thanks John, yeah, maybe I can help out or maybe get some answer in any case. Is good to know you have a forum!

Yes, I would save that too, best way to save ram avoiding own DNS, using interserver dns.

Minion

This is all very helpful, as I am new to VPS, as well. I would probably have overloaded my system, installing various programs, not knowing that many can actually be integrated. Just clarifying - if you are running apache on Kloxo, you do not need NGINX, is that correct?

Quags

Administrator
Staff member
Both apache and nginx are webservers. Apache is the most used, and control panel's like kloxo are built with apache in mind. So with apache you do not need nginx.

For a basic set up most people install nginx and "proxy" it to apache on a different port (running both), because nginx is faster. Apache has benefits like mod_security with excellent prebuilt rule sets.

Brenda

This may be a silly question but bear with me because I'm truly not very good with the technical end of things. By reading over this thread, it sounds like it would make much more sense to use interserver's own DNS. Are there specific reasons why a person would or should want to run their own DNS?

Carlos Sura

In my case, when someone makes a who is to my website, I want to show my own DNS, insted where my vps is located. If you don't care about it, I don't find any other reason why you should not run Interserver DNS.

Brenda

Carlos, is there a good reason to want to show your own DNS over that of Interserver's VPS location? I guess what I'm asking is should I care? I don't know much about that end of things but I figured I'd set things up right to begin with.

Quags

Administrator
Staff member
Hi Brenda,
The whois being referred to can be seen at http://www.interserver.net/v2-whois.php

Enter in any domain name and it will show the registration information and the nameservers. If you run a hosting company you'll want to have the nameservers be your own nameservers to your own hosting company domain name, so that your customers domains show it as well. Beyond that, you may want it only to have more control over your domain records, if you are running your own dns software.

Beyond these two, or the cool factor, pretty much using our dns servers are best.

Carlos Sura

John is right, that's the only reason, why you would like to show your own DNS, some providers call them 'vanity nameservers' because of that, as John said, less ram consuming, and less complicated things, using Interserver DNS is the best option.