Backing up personal data

Foodie TR

Is it possible to back up large chunks of personal data and movies into cloud storage?
I know it is possible but I want to know how long will it take to upload nearly 1TB of data into the cloud. I have pathetic internet speeds and the uplink servers don't work so fast.

oldwriter

OK, since the goal is to minimize transfer time and considering the limitations in the uplink, first thing coming to my mind is to use one of those crazy compressors taking huge files and cutting the size %.

Assuming you want to store them for "glacier" retrieval (i.e. an indeterminate time in the future) this might be your pick.

You are trading transfer time for plenty of processing for both compressing and decompressing the data. Compression of some files spawning gigas with archivers achieving maximum compression with today hardware is measured in days, not hours. So you better be prepared for it.

Check out this link: http://cs.fit.edu/~mmahoney/compression/

allswl

1 TB will certainly take days no matter how much you compress the files therein. This time is also compounded by the fact that no matter what type of internet connection you have chances are good that during the download their is likely to be a break in service even for just a short time.

It is possible to do it on the cloud however it depends on how often you change files and how fast your internet speeds are. I personally prefer an external hard drive because my internet uploads at a rate of 128 Kb/s and I normally have hundreds of megabytes that change in a day so it is literally hours of using all the internet just to stay updated with the cloud.

Dez97

It is very possible to upload a large amount of files on cloud, however I do think that the next best thing would be dropbox, its just like cloud however it holds a lot more files. I recommend both as they are both really great to use. On cloud you're looking at a few hours, on dropbox for a large amount of files it took about 30 minutes.

It is quite possible depending on your internet speeds. I find upload speeds are generally 12.5% of download speeds. So if you change on average 100 mb of data a day, backing it up would be the equivalent in time as downloading 800 mb. If you want a one time upload you could do it and it wouldn't be to bad for I find it much more effective to just put it in a separate hard drive. With that said if you do want to use cloud storage with cheap storage, Google Drive is quite good.

this thread may be a bit old, but i should mention that iDrive has a deal where they fedex you a pocket drive that holds something like 2 or 3 tb of storage. you receive it, copy everything to it, and fedex it back to them. its pretty handy. i think you can do it a couple of times a year.

Kamarsun1

Is it possible to back up large chunks of personal data and movies into cloud storage?
I know it is possible but I want to know how long will it take to upload nearly 1TB of data into the cloud. I have pathetic internet speeds and the uplink servers don't work so fast.
I'm not sure how long it would take to upload 1 TB. I would assume it all depends on the upload speed. I personally wouldn't upload that much data onto the cloud.

Cloud back up time depends on your internet speed. If you have high speed internet and you have compressed your data, I think you will be able to upload your data on cloud in a day or two.

djinter

Use UHA compressor, its been taken off the market but old versions still available online. Its compression is crazy. Once, you've compressed your data, upload it to your cloud server. At an average rate of (say) 10mbps, 1 tb compressed down to 700gbs should take about 80 hrs.