Backup?

Wiseword

Do you offer backup of our website files as part of the hosting plans we purchase? If so (I believe it's the case), how often do you backup the files?

hey wiseword - you could save yourself a bit of $$ and write a simple "tar" command, maybe something like:

tar -cx -f /usr/local/backups/wiseword-backup.tar /home ;

and then go into "crontab -e" and schedule it yourself!

another option is to install virtualmin/webmin open-source and schedule a backup there, although from what little i see its not very flexible.

Quags

Administrator
Staff member
Backups of individual files is offered on our shared hosting / reseller hosting plans. This includes daily / weekly / monthly backups.

For other services, such as VPS or dedicated servers backups are not offered by default. On a VPS we provide the option for a remote backup service in my.interserver.net (under the backup section) which is a remote FTP service that support nfs/samba as well for a remote drive mount. For dedicated servers most choose a second harddrive for backups, or the remote backup service.

Quags

Administrator
Staff member
For any service, even if there is backups offered always have a local backup on your computer.

cPanel makes it very easy to generate this.

mikelouis

I have blog and is updated daily so for this reason I also back up daily. I do not want to lose any content in the event anything happens to my site or blog. That is how am careful.