centos 8?

hello - i just saw that centos-8 is now available. is this something that IS will be offering soon, or does it already? is there anything in c-8 that is motivating enough to start looking at it?

or is one better to wait a year or so for all the issues to be resolved?

Quags

Administrator
Staff member
Templates will be made for it soon. It can be installed via an ISO right now. I haven't personally tried it yet.

i am thinking that any new account might want to start up right away on C8, since C7 is less than five years away from EOL.

End-of-support schedule
CentOS versionRelease dateMaintenance updates
512 April 200731 March 2017
610 July 201130 November 2020
77 July 201430 June 2024
824 September 201931 May 2029

installing C8 on virtualbox - so far i am not really seeing any significant differences.

it seems some older packages are not very proactive on upgrading to C8.

EDIT: php installation has made a few changes. hopefully this guide will help. i am thinking just jump right to php-7.4

EDIT(2): new command for managing yum called "dnf" -- most of the issues i am seeing are trying to jump to php-7.4, lotsa stuff that was deprecated in earlier releases is now being enforced. i did a "find . -name '*.php' -exec php -l {} \;" to see all the stuff that needs to be changed.

Last edited:
anybody try Centos8 yet? i am all for leading-edge stuff but not "bleeding-edge". my concern is getting started on it only to find some critical install wont work since its not running on C8, or its too old (like.... Perl?)

ok it appears that "dnf" is the replacement for "yum".

my first thought was "oh sh*t another learning curve" but dnf appears to be a worthy successor to yum.

yum still works, thankfully, but its probably a good idea to start moving to dnf.

Last edited:
php - lots of cases where stuff like = &new no longer works.

imho, the best solution is to install virtualbox & php7, tar all the php files to it, and run something like:

find . -name '*.php' -type f -exec php -l {} \;

this is really more of a PHP issue, but C8 sort of forces you to deal with it. also, php5.x is not supported anymore and has security issues, so i have been told.

Fleurrose

hello - i just saw that centos-8 is now available. is this something that IS will be offering soon, or does it already? is there anything in c-8 that is motivating enough to start looking at it?

or is one better to wait a year or so for all the issues to be resolved?
audacity temp mail origin
Templates will be made for it soon. It can be installed via an ISO right now. I have tried it and it's work .

Last edited:
i am mildly curious to know how to install a VPS via ISO - but already far too many more important matters. i have been using C8 over virtualbox to try to determine what are all these issues i might run into. C8 installs using ISO on virtualbox pretty easily.

the far bigger issue is all the old PHP5 scripts that were part of a LAMP package that is no longer supported.

a couple more fun issues:

dnf - dnf stands for "Dandified yum" - i have to wonder who came up with this name? its not even in my spellchecker.
sshpass is not [yet] available on redhat/centos-8, at least not without a manual install

i understand that the unix community takes a very relaxed approach to naming command (ie 'biff' was somebody's dogs name) but 'Dantify'?

Last edited: