Creating a forum; What software?

ShaneVP

When it comes to creating a forum for your website, there's a pretty wide range of different types of forum softwares, each having there own ups and downs. You have a range of free softwares which can be very good, you also have a range of paid softwares which normally offer more core features, although you can normally install a couple of plugins on a free software to have these features.

When it comes to forum software, my choice is MyBB if I am going to be using free software, if I was going to be paying for the software, I would choose either IPB or XenForo.

ShaneVP

For paid software the best I've used is XenForo
Why do you favour XenForo over all the rest? Although I do agree with you, the best paid is XF in my opinion too. What about free software, which one do you prefer if you was to use something free?

phunkinc

Is phpBB still a popular choice? It was some of the best, easy-to-use Forum software back in the day. It was an all-in-one package similar to InvisionBoard and vBulletin.

Dez97

I've never done this before, but I will say that as for paying I know a lot of people say that they use XF. I would realy recommend it though you would be getting what you paid for and its trusted and recommended by a lot of people.

themonk3y

I have not created any forums personally but a couple of my friends have created some great forums with WordPress and adding a few plugins too it to give a look of the forum. The thing with WordPress is that there is a lot of free content for you to use such as free themes and plugins to change your website the way you want it to.

Jacobr5000

I'm not much of a fan of free forum hosting, but for paid hosting, I much prefer XenForo. I currently administrate a VBulletin forum that we will be transferring to XenForo very soon. VB in my opinion looks to outdated compared to XenForo. I can't wait until I switch it.

I still find the best paid software to be vBulletin if you are willing to pay the price. Otherwise, I would pick the best free software to be mybb or simple machines.

alash

This is one of those questions where there isn't a right or wrong answer. It all depends on how serious you are about your forum community to know if free or paid software is for you.

I always recommend to go for free software, which the best is Mybb and then if your community grows maybe decide to go for paid software. Again though free software is just as good if not better than some paid software. It really all boils down to user preference and what you want for your community.

Chasedood85

I would recommend going with XenForo. That is what I am currently using myself. Also that is what DigitalPoint is now using. I have seen a lot of sites that are starting to steal tore are XenForo and away from vBulletin.

Holunderminze

I use Xenforo at work. My boss introduced me to it and since I have used it i have not looked back. Id say its the best on the market. By all means try it if you already havent. That goes for everyone wanting quality software.

SuperiorCallz

There's a huge list of forum softwares, and I guess it really depends on your preference, but I personally enjoy XenForo. It's great and simple to use, plus it's pretty universal. A lot of websites, including this one use it. Another couple I can think of are Curse and Enjin, but as far as I remember, they're more gaming based.

Rowe992

I have seen a lot of forums and they were all created using wordpress. They look professional and the functions work well such as the sign up process. I don't know much about creating forums but I would suggest you look at wordpress and try it out. Great software for new developers and persons who are not familiar with web development.

zalan.reilly

When it comes to creating a forum for your website, there's a pretty wide range of different types of forum softwares, each having there own ups and downs. You have a range of free softwares which Showbox jiofi.local.html tplinklogin can be very good, you also have a range of paid softwares which normally offer more core features, although you can normally install a couple of plugins on a free software to have these features.

When it comes to forum software, my choice is MyBB if I am going to be using free software, if I was going to be paying for the software, I would choose either IPB or XenForo.
It was some of the best, easy-to-use Forum software back in the day. It was an all-in-one package similar to InvisionBoard and vBulletin.

Last edited: