Dedicated server questions

FreeBuddy

• Does InterServer offer custom packages or additional packages other than the 3 listed on the dedicated page?
  • Am I allowed to make my whole server into a VM to run cPanel VPS edition a the license is cheaper?
  • If I provide my own Windows Server Key, could we use that where I didn't have to pay monthly for i?
  • Would it be possible to enable Windows Server / Linux booting?
  • Dedicated servers from InterServer are completely unmanaged, correct?
  • What remote backup options are there for dedicated servers from InterServer?
  • Is remote reboot available? Is it free or extra?
  • How much would it cost to reload the OS if worse came to worse?

Quags

Administrator
Staff member
  • Does InterServer offer custom packages or additional packages other than the 3 listed on the dedicated page?
Custom packages are possible, just email sales at interserver.net
  • Am I allowed to make my whole server into a VM to run cPanel VPS edition a the license is cheaper?
If the system runs openvz or kvm then that license type can be used.
  • If I provide my own Windows Server Key, could we use that where I didn't have to pay monthly for it?
You'll need to provide the ISO as well.
  • Would it be possible to enable Windows Server / Linux booting?
Not sure what you mean here. If you run virtualization that can support both, then both can be run at the same time.
  • Dedicated servers from InterServer are completely unmanaged, correct?
Similar to vps's we managed what we install. So if it comes with cpanel or directadmin support on those is included. If there is no control panel its the basic os.
  • What remote backup options are there for dedicated servers from InterServer?
Remote ftp storage space can be purchased in my.interserver.net under backups. Samba mounting is supported as well with this for windows.
  • Is remote reboot available? Is it free or extra?
Atoms do not have remote reboot. Some other servers do, and if available it can be rebooted from my.interserver.net.
  • How much would it cost to reload the OS if worse came to worse?
No charge.

You may be interested in looking at a quick server as well, which has similar reboot/reinstall features a vps has but is your own server.

FreeBuddy

Yep, I have license keys and ISOs for Windows Server 2003, Windows Server 2008 R2, Windows Serer 2012 (Standard & Data Center) so that wouldn't be a problem.

I didn't know that. So I could hypothetically concurrently run Windows & Linux at the same time? That's impressive! I was talking about like dualbooting Linux and Windows as some of the things I want to host can only be hosted on Windows or Linux. Even better if I'm able to host them at the same time. :D

I've looked at Quick Serers but they're too weak for what I'm after. I'd need a Xeon E series model (2012 at the oldest) for what I'm looking to host.

Quags

Administrator
Staff member
You could run windows / linux on the same server, on an E3 running virtualization software like KVM HyperV or VMWare.

Quickserver hardware varies, sometimes a E3 may pop up in there, but not often.

FreeBuddy

Is it possible to use the centos graphical interface? I assume you can on windows using remote desktop?

Yeah I'm planning to get an E3 from you guys sometime this month. The $99 dollar deal is enticing but I'd need the RAID removed as apparently it will mess with game server hosting.

Quags

Administrator
Staff member
Using yum on centos, the desktop and VNC can be installed.

With a second drive of the same size, adding software raid is easy for centos.

Henry33

I think custom packages are best. They are the way to go. As far as running windows and linux on the same server, you can do it and I recommend you do so.

FreeBuddy

Yeah - Will email them about a custom package. I bought a dedi a week ago from another hosting company to test them out and they are shockingly unhelpful. Took them 16 hours the other day to respond to an OS reinstall request after the IPMI interface kept disconnecting. I was spitting mad.