Do .com domains hold more value than .net/.org?

cortana

If I saw a really good .net or .org available and the .com was taken, I'd buy it anyway. Some taken .com's are just parked pages anyway, so get the name if you like it and use it.

djinter

Also, the real value will still come from the content you post on your website. If its great, then you'll do well too. I would invite you to check out a few website flipping platforms to see for yourself what I mean.

But, still, the perceived value is always higher for a .com

I still think that .com domains have higher value, at least for me. I usually go to .com sites rather than .net or .org ones. But I know that there are also .org and .net sites that have great content. I was just used to seeing .com domains and kind of thinking that they are more secure and have good quality content.

djinter

I still think that .com domains have higher value, at least for me. I usually go to .com sites rather than .net or .org ones. But I know that there are also .org and .net sites that have great content. I was just used to seeing .com domains and kind of thinking that they are more secure and have good quality content.
Yeah. I tend to look for .coms too.

BTW, if you can't find a domain name you were looking for, just add -li or -ly to it. So if you can't find sports.com, you could try sportsly.com - which by the way is available as we speak. It works for me everytime.

Yeah. I tend to look for .coms too.

BTW, if you can't find a domain name you were looking for, just add -li or -ly to it. So if you can't find sports.com, you could try sportsly.com - which by the way is available as we speak. It works for me everytime.
Oh, I didn't know that, thank you for sharing that. I actually like .com domains since they are more professional looking most of the time. However, I think other domains are also stepping up their game. I think in time, there will be more and more competition between .com and .net domains as well as others.

zalan.reilly

I've always argued this with myself when buying a new domain and I reverse image search email checker port checker can never come to a solid conclusion. Sometimes I can find a valuable domain which has the .com take but has a .org variable open, but I still sit back and think it doesn't seem "right".

Does anyone else have this first world problem at all?

I still prefer to go with a .com domain because most of the popular website use the .com extension and it is the most widely used.

Last edited:
they tell me that people are really used to (dot)com - well ok, but not too long ago, nobody knew what that even meant. now i hear many more (dot)net (dot)io etc etc, they are becoming so common - example: INTERSERVER(dot)NET.. :)

the (dot)xyz seems sort of strange to me. but i believe all the new ones are OK, like (dot)service, (dot)online, (dot)church.

Last edited: