Favorite Browser

Quags

Administrator
Staff member
Firefox with noscript plugin for me (also foxy proxy when I am away for ssh proxying)

I'll post a detailed way to use foxy proxy in the tutorials section. Its an easy way to encrypt web browsing using your vps or dedicated server.

that's a bit like asking who is the ultimate rock-n-roll band, except that just so happens to be the Moody Blues (which can be verified independently).

i was a huge FF buff, but lately chrome took top honors. chrome seems to handle the java plug-in more efficiently. also, chrome has the built-in debugger where with FF you have to install firebug.

also, the chrome-php is way cool in that its super-easy to have php dump stuff into the chrome console. yes i know FF has something quite similar, but it seems like the FF one didnt work quite as dependability as the chrome one did.

in the android world, i found FF is better, surprisingly enough.

side-note: recently i was forced to upgrade the internet-explorer, and IE installed four other programs - yes i was not paying attention. four!! that's a total disgrace. fortunately, i purchased the revo-uninstaller to deal with problems like this. but note that chrome has an IE add-on. every time i use IE, i have to wash my hands in bleach to get the stink off.

this is worth looking at too:
http://my-debugbar.com/wiki/IETester/HomePage
since every time IE comes out with a new version, it is incompatible with the last one !

quags - does chrome have something similar with proxy?

Quags

Administrator
Staff member
Another plugin I forgot to mention is Firebug great for debugging webpages (and viewing source easily in sections).

yes firebug is great, and that's probably why chrome came out with something better, already built into it (inspect element)

chrome does not support firePHP (another important one) but uses chromePHP instead, which is much better and easier to use.

hop0n

I'm using Chrome. I don't really know if that is the case, but for me is seems it is running smoother than all the other browsers. Next one in line I'd say is Internet Explorer.

I would normally say Chrome since it's speed is efficient with my tablet, but for compatibility reasons, I would go with Mozilla Firefox right now. I have a lot of apps like RoboForm that aren't as compatible (If at all) with Chrome. I would never choose IE, they're so cluttered nowadays. I try to turn everyone onto a different browser.

RomanAnthony - could i please ask you for a big favor? there is a chrome IE-add-on that might work with RoboForm and i would appreciate knowing if it does.

i know chrome and paypal merchant services do not work together but i have not tried the chrome IE-add-on yet.

here is the link:
https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/ie-tab/hehijbfgiekmjfkfjpbkbammjbdenadd

also, when you say

"I would never choose IE, they're so cluttered nowadays."

- was there ever a time they were not cluttered? if we go back to the netscape days, even back then netscape was vastly superior to IE.

i was on an Opera kick a few years back but it was too buggy for my taste. i could not make an airline reservation with Opera ! !

FlyKoreanBoi

I use Chrome because I can move back and forth between my computer and my phone. I also have a Gmail account and it's pretty annoying to get off of Chrome because Chrome integrates it so well.

SwagBear

I use Chrome because I can move back and forth between my computer and my phone. I also have a Gmail account and it's pretty annoying to get off of Chrome because Chrome integrates it so well.

I use Chrome for the same reason. I love how the bookmarks transfer between computers and mobile devices without a hassle, and it's automatic! It's also the fastest for me!

Svedren

I'm on the Apple bandwagon, so I use Safari as my primary browser. Largely for features like Reader, reading list, and it syncs with my iPad and lets me see what pages are open on other devices. That said, I use Chrome a lot, especially for developing web pages. The "Inspect Element" feature is awesome! Being able to easily see and change my CSS cascades within the browser is invaluable.

I understand FF has a similar feature or plugin, but haven't used it. I last used FF at about 3.6'ish when it seemed to be getting rather slow and bloated. Has that gotten better?

Raivyn

I've tried Safari, Opera, Firefox, and Chrome and personally like Chrome the best. I had issues with Safari and Opera and Firefox just ran too slow.

MazinJunaid

It would be Firefox for me all the way! It's a great browser and is pretty secure, and for a developer and coder, the plug-ins that it provides us with like 'Inspect Element' (with 3D mode) is irreplaceable.

Owen Smith

Chrome all the way!

Firefox seems to use a lot of CPU, unsure why.

The downside to Chrome is that I believe they follow your every move in terms of history and tracking.

Hoboman88

Sure everyone loves Google Chrome, but Firefox is a much less burden on your CPU, which makes it better for gaming. Also it has group tabs and the ability to pin tabs. Both are quite useful.

rcg2222

For work related things, I like Firefox with a variety of add-ons and scripts, but for casual browsing, I prefer Chrome. I watch YouTube and play some games on Chrome and don't have nearly as many crashed as I did with Firefox.

protoboard

I use Chrome, Firefox and Opera interchangeably. My favorite one is Opera. It runs smoothly and feels more lightweight than Firefox or Chrome.

Chrome was my favorite but a few months ago it started having problems to run on this machine (HP ProBook 4530s Windows 7 64-bit) and I had to uninstall it. Maybe it's time to install it again and see if it works better now.

And for this post I'm using Firefox :D

MorgUK

I used to have a 'favourite' browser, but that time has long gone. My favourite browser at the time was Firefox, this was a few years ago when it was Firefox 2 and 3. They were stable and life was good! All of a sudden Firefox started updating to different versions every other week, and I started to have problems... Youtube would play up, some sites wouldn't log in etc. I moved to Chrome and thought it was amazing, but after a short period of time I realised it had its own niggles on various websites.

These days I just switch my browser depending on what I'm doing. At home I use Firefox and at work all my extensions are installed on Chrome so I keep it like that. I've tried Opera and Safari too, not too impressed. I remember Opera was cool because it was one of the first browsers to have a download manager, and if I remember correctly it could even continue paused/stopped downloads which Firefox still can't do!!

protoboard

I've tried Opera and Safari too, not too impressed.
Most people feels the same about Opera but the truth is that it's rather an impressive browser. Opera usually has many features before Chrome or Firefox. It has a download manager but not just that as it also has torrent client. I prefer uTorrent to handle my torrent downloads but having Opera has come handy on computers where there's no torrent client.

I think the one problem with Opera not being as widely known as Chrome or Firefox is that it isn't open source and don't put much efforts on marketing as Firefox does. Chrome is from Google so it doesn't need much marketing for people to be using it.

NatureSun

Firefox has always been my favourite browser. Although Chrome has surpassed it in some features and is more popular now, I still feel Firefox is superior in many ways.

Most importantly for me, Firefox has an amazing Browsing History search feature which I use rather regularly.

MorgUK

Most people feels the same about Opera but the truth is that it's rather an impressive browser. Opera usually has many features before Chrome or Firefox. It has a download manager but not just that as it also has torrent client. I prefer uTorrent to handle my torrent downloads but having Opera has come handy on computers where there's no torrent client.

I think the one problem with Opera not being as widely known as Chrome or Firefox is that it isn't open source and don't put much efforts on marketing as Firefox does. Chrome is from Google so it doesn't need much marketing for people to be using it.
Good point I forgot about the torrent manager too. Yeah I think Opera should be featured a little more, it is often pushed to the back by bigger browsers. I wish IE was less spammy!

protoboard

Good point I forgot about the torrent manager too. Yeah I think Opera should be featured a little more, it is often pushed to the back by bigger browsers. I wish IE was less spammy!
Yeah. Also, where Opera was the number one browser was in the mobile market but now that Google has Chrome for Android and that Firefox runs also great on Android I think Opera will slowly be phased out there too.

I would like to see an open source Opera kicking ass in the browser market!

bauss

My favorite browser is Google Chrome. I don't really use any other browsers unless I'm testing the designs for my web pages.

anurag93

I like chrome. It's fast, and user friendly. You can install some really nice extensions in chrome, like adblock, or youtube downloader, etc. I just love chrome. I used to browse with firefox, and my alternative to chrome is firefox.

zolppi

I prefer Chrome. It's just so great, when all of your bookmarks and some other things sync between your phone and your computer. Chrome also has many apps and addons. I don't encountered any lags with Chrome. Exept with one site, that opened new tabs, until my browser crashed :)

cpwebsite

My favorite browser is Firefox followed by Chrome. I only use Chrome when I want to be logged into accounts in two browsers, Firefox and Chrome. But my main browser is Firefox and I find that it serves my purposes the best.

ashwinr1

Browser! Anything but internet explorer :p

I use either Chrome or Firefox, but off late even Firefox seems to give loads of trouble!

For now settled with Chrome, but I do feel this web browser market is still open and there could be more players coming into it. The existing guys are just not living up to the needs of users!