Forum Vs Website: Which is easier to monetize?

I run a website, however, I am thinking to launch a forum. I have monetized my website, however, I don't have any experience with forum. Can you tell me which is easier to monetize.

Quags

Administrator
Staff member
How much traffic does your website get? If you can't get visitors to the forums it would be difficult to monetize.

rz3300

It all depends on which one your content is more suited for in my experience. I think that they each have their advantages and disadvantages, just like anything, and you really just have to sit and weigh which one would really bring out your purpose more. For me, the website makes more sense but I have always though about a forum, but it just doesn't really work for me.

djinter

Forums are hard. A website is not necessarily easier but atleast the flow is easier. For example, you could do this:

Build Twitter Followers -> Direct them to your website -> Earn

However, people who come to forums don't necessarily come to buy something.

cortana

A forum is a website, so the answer is the same.

If your forum has good content and people like it, then what's the difference?

A forum is a website, so the answer is the same.

If your forum has good content and people like it, then what's the difference?
Forum contain discussion and short messages. You may publish articles on forums, but forum is a discussion board after all. My question is related to the content type. Website has SEO contents which are appreciated by ad networks,and forums have short posts that are disliked by ad networks

djinter

One advantage of a forum is that content is generated everyday without any effort from your side. So, if you can get enough knowledgeable and passionate people to your forum, you'll be able to do really well in terms of building a body of knowledge.

One advantage of a forum is that content is generated everyday without any effort from your side. So, if you can get enough knowledgeable and passionate people to your forum, you'll be able to do really well in terms of building a body of knowledge.
Content creation is free on forum.This is the reason, why I am looking to launch a forum. However my question is if I want to monetize with Adsense, what will be a minimum content requirement.

I think both has its advantages. With forums, people create the content for you. The question is, how do you get people to sign up for your forum? And how do you make them stay? Plus, add to that, you would also need to stay active to moderate spammers and maintain activity. That, or you hire a moderator.

With websites, you can generate traffic from just your content. You will have a loyal following plus the people who go to your site because of Google or promotions. The thing is, you would need to put up quality content to have people go to your site.

It all depends on you in the end. You just have to choose which one is more preferable for your needs and priorities.

I think both has its advantages. With forums, people create the content for you. The question is, how do you get people to sign up for your forum? And how do you make them stay? Plus, add to that, you would also need to stay active to moderate spammers and maintain activity. That, or you hire a moderator.

With websites, you can generate traffic from just your content. You will have a loyal following plus the people who go to your site because of Google or promotions. The thing is, you would need to put up quality content to have people go to your site.

It all depends on you in the end. You just have to choose which one is more preferable for your needs and priorities.
I understand pros and cons of forums as well as website. However, the main question is monetization, because good quality ad networks require you to have quality contents on your site (forum is also a site), however, on a forum site you do not have quality content unless you publish blog posts. Another problem on forum is getting traffic. Forums seem to get almost zero traffic from search engines