Free web hosting

Would You Use Free Web Hosting?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

hydrlon

If you're a beginner at web hosting, starting out with ZERO investment ability, should you go to Free web hosting as your source to start out? I've had bad past experiences with free web hosting, but I had a decent page running, making about 3,000 unique visitors in traffic a week on a .tk domain, but it would always get overloaded by the simplest of things and its uptime was terrible and half the time it was very laggy. Would you guys do it or just save up some cash to put towards the construction of your webhost?

Quags

Administrator
Staff member
If you go with free hosting, make sure to keep a local backup of the entire site - and try to get a domain name you can move. That way

* if the free host shuts down, you have the data
* you can move the domain to a new host and keep your traffic

InterServer does offer a shared hosting promotion with the first month only a 1 cent.

hydrlon

If you go with free hosting, make sure to keep a local backup of the entire site - and try to get a domain name you can move. That way

InterServer does offer a shared hosting promotion with the first month only a 1 cent.
Well, unfortunately, I never did this but InterServer shared hosting for 1 cent for the first month is pretty cheap, I mean its 1 cent, also it was my stupidity not to back up anything, sadly.

andrewt

I made the mistake of using free hosting on a new project. It turned out the site started to get 5000 visitors daily and the hosting company shut me down for 24 hours, in which I lost around $40 from Adsense. So go with paid hosting if you plan on making money, it is worth it in the long run.

Grumpy

Back when I was a beginner and I was new to the game with websites & hosting and stuff, on more than one occasion I used free hosting. I wouldn't use it now because I learnt from many mistakes, much of my work was lost in previous years due to free hosts closing unexpectedly, so I decided to stick with a reliable company. Now I'm with Hawk Host and won't change for anything. Brilliant service and brilliant customer support when you need it.

Jatelo2

My blog is hosted by Google's Blogger. From what I understand, it is a free hosting service where the only thing I pay for is the domain name from Namecheap. So, tell me if the InterServer can offer me the backup service considering my blogging platform.

I've read before that Google can decide to delete the blog if I faulted one of their policies one of this days. This is the more reason I need the backup..

antha1

I have had my share of problems with free hosting.
A lot of hosting sites advertise the fact that they provide you unlimited bandwidth and hosting space, but do not mention the CPU.
And, that CPU is going to kill your website more than once. Even if you have as little as 15 visitors a day, depending on your Wordpress installation, you can exceed the CPU cycles allotted for you for a day.

The problem of trust also plays a significant role. They take down sites any time, I have seldom seen them honouring their uptime guarantees. (and, I have used more free hosting sites than I can count :)).

Quags

Administrator
Staff member
In the end you get what you pay for.

For CPU limits on shared hosting at interserver, the defaults are 25% of 1 cpu, core 1024MB memory 1024kbps disk io, 20 process limit and 250,000 inodes. These have been raised in the past on some times that needed them.

Dinesh

There aren't any free hosts that provide good features. I used have my first site hosted on 00webhosts but they used to shut me out of my site if I get a large amount of visitors. So, instead of depending on Free hosts stick to to one until you have got some cash and look out for discounts and offers on hosting. I once got a 12 month hosting for one cent at a valentine special offer :D

SuperiorCallz

I'd use free hosting if I was really desperate and just did not have the money. I've used a few free hosts in the past and they haven't been too bad at all. It all depends on the specifications, I guess.

themonk3y

I started off on a free blogging platforms like webs and blogger. Later I moved to free web hosting and installed WordPress on them. The free web hosting that I used was just fine. There were a few bumps along the road and the support was almost negligible but what do I have to complain for. They were letting me use their servers for free. After having my blog on a free web hosting for some time I decided to get serious and moved my blog to a paid web hosting.

For a beginner or someone who is unsure of what to do I think it is not that bad of an idea, especially because it is a great learning experience and a free one at that. But if you are planning on making a large successful website, it is a horrible idea.

I'd use free hosting if I was really desperate and just did not have the money. I've used a few free hosts in the past and they haven't been too bad at all. It all depends on the specifications, I guess.
If you don't mind me asking, which free hosts did you use and what did you think about them?

appleannie

I don't think I prefer the free web hosting at all. I have learned that nothing in this world having is free. I think that if you are new to the field of web hosting and want to try it out, try it out on a month to month basis.

No, I wouldn't use a free web hosting, I prefer investing some money in a paid web hosting and being more successful with my website.

Foxy-Grim

If you are starting out with absolutely $0 in your funds, free shared hosting will probably be the best you can get out there. Of course, there will be problems. It is free after all, you shouldn't expect much.

If the site/project means something to you, of course you should find a way to work something out. If it is a non-profit project, for example, there are a few providers who are willing to support you, you just need to know how to look.

suegiplaye

If you're a beginner at web hosting, starting out with ZERO investment ability, should you go to Free web hosting as your source to start out? I've had bad past experiences with free web hosting, but I had a decent page running, making about 3,000 unique visitors in traffic a week on a .tk domain, but it would always get overloaded by the simplest of things and its uptime was terrible and half the time it was very laggy. Would you guys do it or just save up some cash to put towards the construction of your webhost?
I do not think there is such a thing as having free web hosting. Its always a catch to it. I think if you pay for your website it will look more professional . Just my opinion.

sixxup

Free hosting comes with some extra costs. You may have to pay for some essential features like security. They make more plugins for pay than being free. At last it costs.

chasedood

Myself, I would never use free hosting unless maybe I am just testing a website. They are not very secure. Hosting is so cheap these days that anyone can afford it. I am a firm believer in you get what you pay for! Free hosting is not very reliable.

Benson

I do not believe that there is someone out there who just have the pleasure of using free web hosting services just for the sake of it. Many people turn to it at the beginning because of budget constrains. I began with webs and then later went on to .tk and used free hosting services. It is very annoying using free hosing services. Many free hosting companies do not offer customer service when you are on a free plan. When you are down, you are down, there is no one to complain to. It is very annoying. It is better to pay for hosting, if you can afford it. I believe that many people resolve to use free hosting because of budget constrains.

When I was a new to web publishing, I used free hosting, however, these days I have a website on a shared hosting plan. If you are a beginner, it is good to start with free service, as you learn the techniques, use a paid hosting.

djinter

I tried free webhosting because I was broke. Of course, now I don't do that, but its certainly what is recommended for testing any new ideas out or for someone whose new.

dStMars

Thank you, i didn't really think about backing up any data or keeping the traffic for my webpage. Why is it that most of this information is not talked about? It seems that everyone is just so engulfed in selling their services. I guess that is just the way of the world. What do you think about affiliate programs like wealthy affiliate?

amanwaa

If you are starting out with absolutely $0 in your funds, free shared hosting will probably be the best you can get out there. Of course, there will be problems. It is free after all, you shouldn't expect much.

If the site/project means something to you, of course you should find a way to work something out. If it is a non-profit project, for example, there are a few providers who are willing to support you, you just need to know how to look.
Yes, of course, you right, I'm also using free web hosting in learning periods. but when I stand on a level I was moved on paid Hosting.

pawlo.litasi

I have had my share of problems with free hosting.
A lot of hosting sites advertise the fact that they xender discord omegle provide you unlimited bandwidth and hosting space, but do not mention the CPU.
And, that CPU is going to kill your website more than once. Even if you have as little as 15 visitors a day, depending on your Wordpress installation, you can exceed the CPU cycles allotted for you for a day.

The problem of trust also plays a significant role. They take down sites any time, I have seldom seen them honouring their uptime guarantees. (and, I have used more free hosting sites than I can count :)).
about 3,000 unique visitors in traffic a week on a .tk domain, but it would always get overloaded by the simplest of things and its uptime was terrible and half the time it was very laggy. Would you guys do it or just save up some cash to put towards the construction of your webhost?

Last edited: