how can i transfer a domain name from Godaddy to interserver ?

boukredine

please i really need help :(

well, i went to Domain manager in GODADDY and tried to transfer by changing the GODADDY names servers (NS45.DOMAINCONTROL.COM and NS46.DOMAINCONTROL.COM

so i changed those 2 names servers into the names servers that Interserver gave me by email ( dns.trouble-free.net: 66.45.228.79 dns2.trouble-free.net: 66.45.228.4 ) but it didn't work.

can you guys see the forma of my name servers of INTERSERVER differente dns.trouble-free.net: 66.45.228.79 rather than: nsXXX.interserver.net ? why it is not a normal forma like the one of HOSTGATOR or BLUEHOST ?
why is there IP address in the end of the name servers ?
GODADDY didn't accept them when i changed them sending an email and telling me that the transfer failed :(

so, can someone please tell me step by step how can i transfer a domain name from GODADDY to INTERSERVER ?

thank you very much for your help

Quags

Administrator
Staff member
With the ips it is:

dns.trouble-free.net has address 66.45.228.79
dns2.trouble-free.net has address 66.45.228.4

These dns servers are for shared hosting accounts.

If you have a server you'll need to email support with the domain + ip to add, or you can use the dns servers in https://my.interserver.net under domains -> dns manager which gives you full dns control. For example you can manage all the A / mx / cname records. In this case the namservers are cdns1/cdns2/cdns3.interserver.net

the only tricky part is to obtain the "authorization" code. godaddy sends this via email and does not go out of their way to make this step particularly easy.

and dont forget, friends don't let friends use GODADDY.

SwagBear

the only tricky part is to obtain the "authorization" code. godaddy sends this via email and does not go out of their way to make this step particularly easy.

Agreed. GoDaddy is not that good at all. I do agree with you that the only tricky part is to get the authorizaton code. However, other than that, it's pretty straight forward.

The only really bad part is (in some cases) is you have to have your contact information on file current. In other words, it has to point to an email you have access to. What happens is people register with the evil Godaddy with their A-O-hell account from years ago only to discover they long ago lost access to it. And it might be very difficult to change that! Godaddy makes you fax in a copy of a passport or a drivers license to update this information.

However, here are some instructions i found for you (below). I always help people migrate away from godaddy as a public service!

How to transfer my domain registration away from GoDaddy

1. Go to GoDaddy's site and into the Domain Management section. [screenshot]
  2. Login if you are not already.
  3. Click the link for your domain. [screenshot]
  4. Scroll down to the Contacts area. You need to make sure your contact information is updated and valid, or you will not get the Authorization Code - also known as EPP key. Click "(edit)" or "(edit all)". [screenshot]
  5. If necessary, update your contact email so it is accurate. This will ensure the Authorization Code comes to your email. WARNING: If you update any information other than the contact email, GoDaddy will likely lock your domain for an indefinite amount of time. This lock prevents you from transferring your domain name and cannot be removed by you. When done, click OK. [screenshot]
  6. Above is a line stating "Authorization Code: Send By Email". Click the Send by Email link and follow the pop-up (click OK twice). [screenshot]
  7. Now is time to make sure that your domain is unlocked. When your domain is locked, the registrar has a legal obligation to reject your transfer request. So, above the link you clicked is another line stating "Locked: Locked Manage". Click the Manage link and follow the pop-up (uncheck the Lock Domains box and click OK twice). [screenshot]
  8. By now you should have an email from GoDaddy saying "The authorization information you requested is as follows: Domain Name: yourdomain.com Authorization Info: A123EXAMPLE049BB." The code shown after Authorization Info is your EPP code (or Auth Key).

orlando curtis

No I'm not sure about it but if you go to YouTube it shows things of that nature up there and it is show you how to switch and change everything that you need to all you do is put in the question that you need to ask trust me.

Billy Roberts

All i know is that Godaddy was very helpful when my site was migrated from Hostgator to here. The domain wasnt pointing to my site because of database crash. I went to Godaddy to find out why my domain was still pointing to old webhost. I got a prompt email from Godaddy telling what was wrong. Seems the database crashed.Support here went to work and fixed it right away.