How do I control what goes on each slice (WHM)

Sarah McLeod

I want to balance the load on my Servers.

At the moment I have two slices on a KVM server, presently used for my WordPress based websites and 1 slice on an Open VZ server used mainly for my databases. Both have WHM/Cpanel setup and I plan on expanding slices.

Is this the best use for each type of server to get the best performance for my new websites?

How do I control what goes on each slice? I am using the WHM on both Servers. I was planning my Stores on one IP and Slice, my Multisites on another, my Product and Membership Sites on another slice and management sites and tools on another.

What is the best way to manage this, before I get started setting up each of the 18 Domains...

Quags

Administrator
Staff member
Hi Sarah,
* 1 2 slice KVM
* 1 1 slice openvz
Both with WHM

TO control what goes where, you would access the WHM on either the KVM server or the openvz server, and create an account. Based on which server you choose that will be the server that has the account. It can go on either the KVM server or openvz.

The 2 slice KVM server is just double the power of openvz, for all the domains on that KVM server.

There is nothing wrong with this set up, but it doesn't create redundancy for a single site. cPanel doesn't have anything that does redundancy currently for websites.

I would recommend that backups be done in WHM to an account on the other server. So each server would back up to the other server (kvm backs up to openvz, and openvz to kvm) that was there is always an account backup.

Sarah McLeod

Forgive my lack of understanding of Servers, I am used to just one account on Shared hosting.

So having more slices adds more power...

I was thinking I would need to move some of "my domains and their accounts" across to the extra slices, to spread the load as I start building out the domains. I was not sure how to do this...

Then I could have added a new IP to that slice for the domains on it. So how can I group a few domains to one IP and others to another IP if they are all grouped on one server...

Quags

Administrator
Staff member
Slices are more computer resources for a VPS (virtual private server). On shared hosting that interserver provides there is one plan for both windows and cpanel set ups - so in this case there is no way to add more power. If more power is needed generally the next step is to move to the vps.

pawlo.litasi

How do I control what goes on each slice? I am using the WHM on both Servers. I was planning my Stores on one IP and Slice, my Multisites on another, my Product and Membership Sites on another slice and management sites and tools on another. Tutuapp 9Apps ShowBox

Last edited:

Quags

Administrator
Staff member
Do you have two separate servers? If not, then the resources are combined and you would create two separate accounts in WHM, one for each domain.