How Effective Is NAT Firewall?

boonecruz

I was suggested to use a nat firewall eradicate any risks of getting viruses in my PC. I am going for Ivacy VPN because it is one of the few providers out there who is providing this facility. I am just not sure how beneficial would it be. Can anybody confirm this?

Last edited by a moderator:

vasutaunk

NAT is now essential when it comes to conserving global address space. The IPv4 protocol, which determines how all devices on the internet communicate, has a limited number of available IP addresses. If every device that connects to the internet required a unique IP address, we would soon run out. Connecting many devices on a private network through a single NAT gateway only uses up one IPv4 address.

Fleurrose

I was suggested to use a nat firewall eradicate any risks of getting viruses in my PC. I am going for Ivacy VPN because it is one of the few providers out there who is providing this facility. I am just not sure how beneficial would it be. Can anybody confirm this?
usa today protonmail
Connecting many devices on a private network through a single NAT gateway only uses up one IPv4 address.

Last edited:
A NAT firewall works by only allowing internet traffic to pass through the gateway if a device on the private network requested it. Any unsolicited requests or data packets are discarded, preventing communication with potentially dangerous devices on the internet. If inbound internet traffic does not have a private IP address to forward to beyond the gateway, the NAT firewall knows the traffic is unsolicited and should be discarded.

Computers and servers on the internet can only see the public IP address of the router and none of the private IP addresses of specific devices, like phones, laptops, smart TVs, internet-of-things devices, and game consoles. This is also known as IP masquerading.
Hope this information is helpful to you. get more information on cloud technology and office365 on O365CloudExperts