How to set up a vps

Poeti1102

Well I just tried trial vps with Ubuntu 12.04 64bit opertaion.I don't know how to setup the vps.Can anyone teach me how to do please.

Quags

Administrator
Staff member
Are you looking to

host a website, or
run a vpn
run a game

Or something else? Once I know I can give some pointers.

Poeti1102

I want to run some software.Like traffic exchange softwares.Thanks you for answering.Do I need portforwarding?

Last edited:

Poeti1102

Well I installed ubuntu desktop.But when I connect via remote desktop,it's show black screen with pointer.

Sean Lich

I'll be following this thread - I am looking at setting up my own VPS for school.
There are plenty of resources online- I think he is looking for something specific to ubuntu. Are you looking for the same thing? I set mine up pretty easily with the help of youtube and a few google searches.

SirJoe

There is a free vps site, and it's called 5jelly. The only thing is I haven´t been able to make it work. Has anyone tried it out?

deanhills

I'd start with a panel like Webuzo. There is a free version available with plenty of documentation. Then work with the Webuzo panel. It is the easiest for learning.

1. First you need to load PuTTY on your Windows installation so you can talk to your VPS:
http://www.putty.org/

Here are the steps of how to set up your PuTTY to get into your VPS:
http://giga-vps.net/getting-in/

2. Once you're in PuTTY these are the commands for setting up WEBUZO Panel:
http://www.webuzo.com/wiki/Install

3. To get out of PuTTY just type "exit"

4. Then navigate to your new WEBUZO Panel by typing IP:2004 and set the Panel up
Before you can work with your Websites you have to install everything you need through the panel - suggest you go through all of the tutorials here at interserver breadbasket:
https://www.interserver.net/tips/knb-category/breadbasket/

James March

Please advise how to set up a simple WordPress install on a VPS. I have a few premium themes from TemplateMonster that I chose for my new website. I've heard that shared hosting not the best option for WP based websites, since this CMS needs more powerful server resources and I won't be able to secure it on my own. Besides, I think I'll get better response times with a VPS.

H.Charles Beil

Please advise how to set up a simple WordPress install on a VPS. I have a few premium themes from TemplateMonster that I chose for my new website. I've heard that shared hosting not the best option for WP based websites, since this CMS needs more powerful server resources and I won't be able to secure it on my own. Besides, I think I'll get better response times with a VPS.
Hey James, I'm just getting stared setting up a VPS here at Interserver. I have however been on a shared account with another company with several WordPress sites and a Forum with over 2000 members for several years and only recently found it necessary to move my sites and upgrade to VPS. WordPress will run fine on shared hosting and is a cheaper way to get your feet wet in running your own site but you can alleviate a lot of future stress by just learning to run a VPS right from the start and your site will load much faster. I find that Interserver has a VPS tier to suit just about everyone and its scalability is what attracted me to their service, including to be able to upgrade to a dedicated server in the future. My configuration will include 5 slices, SSD, SSL and backup space. I believe that the servers are already running security from my conversations with their sales team but if it is necessary I'll run additional security as required. I'll be creating the documentation for my new business on how I completed these tasks over the next few weeks-months so that my successors will know exactly what I did and be able to continue in a worst case scenario. It's a good idea to document everything that you do so the next time it won't be trial and error. In any event, I've done a lot of research on VPS Hosting companies and I think I've made the correct choice with Interserver; otherwise you wouldn't be getting this response! :)