Just replaced my keyboad...

if i could make a suggestion - take an old keyboard and hold it upside down over a slice of pizza or a sandwich and shake it vigorously. the skin flakes actually make a delightful seasoning. use somebody else's keyboard for extra flavor.

MorgUK

I've got this puppy:

It's a mechanical keyboard, so it should last a while (I hope...). Lovely to type on, but it did cost a fortune!

NatureSun

To be honest I've never had such a problem and I'm pretty much online all the time and type alot. I've had over 3 keyboards in 10~ years and not one has had this problem...

So I guess, yea it's just you. :p

Yanz

if i could make a suggestion - take an old keyboard and hold it upside down over a slice of pizza or a sandwich and shake it vigorously. the skin flakes actually make a delightful seasoning. use somebody else's keyboard for extra flavor.
I cringed a little. Canned air is great for cleaning keyboards

anurag93

My keyboard is so messed up, that sometimes it starts doing random things, like it randomly turn on caps lock, or stop working. I'm using this keyboard from a year, I bought it in $6, so I don't regret. I don't usually spend a lot on keyboards as I know, sooner or later, they're going to be messed up.

nonsiccus

A mechanical keyboard can certainly be a fine solution for a quality product, but the issue is that it's a pretty substantial investment for a keyboard. There are also quite a few things that you want to know about before diving in to a mechanical keyboard such as the switch type. If you can afford the entry cost (typically over US$100), you'll want to check out some MX Blue switches for typing.

There are also a multitude of youtube videos that give you an idea of what to expect if you're going for a quality mechanical keyboard.

MorgUK

A mechanical keyboard can certainly be a fine solution for a quality product, but the issue is that it's a pretty substantial investment for a keyboard. There are also quite a few things that you want to know about before diving in to a mechanical keyboard such as the switch type. If you can afford the entry cost (typically over US$100), you'll want to check out some MX Blue switches for typing.

There are also a multitude of youtube videos that give you an idea of what to expect if you're going for a quality mechanical keyboard.
This is a good point! Some switches feel completely different to others. One of my friends had to return their keyboard because he couldn't stand the switches. His were really, really light with no clicky sound. If you rested your fingers on the keys it would press.

I also recommend to check out some YouTube videos before you buy a mechanical keyboard.

cpwebsite

Nice new keyboards guys they all seem neat. I mainly stick with my keyboard that came with my Alienware laptop as I like it and it works well. However, I may consider replacing the mouse for it.

nonsiccus

This is a good point! Some switches feel completely different to others. One of my friends had to return their keyboard because he couldn't stand the switches. His were really, really light with no clicky sound. If you rested your fingers on the keys it would press.

I also recommend to check out some YouTube videos before you buy a mechanical keyboard.
Hahaha, I know exactly the type that you're talking about. They're more than likely MX Reds, which are what I'm using right now. I use a set of MX Blues at work, and the two are polar opposites. My Reds, if I type gingerly, will barely make a whisper, meanwhile the Blues clack away like the old IBM keyboards of old.

I love the Reds, it feels like I'm typing on a cloud but it's mostly for gaming - the Blues are where it's at when it comes to lots of typing.

Sal Radler

I have the Cherry Blue keys on my Mechanical keyboard. An absolute delight to type on, but they have a jarring clickety sound which my mother hates; hehe. I love it though; gives me a old typewriter vibe and makes me feel cool. Who knew keyboards could make your feel better? :D

nonsiccus

I have the Cherry Blue keys on my Mechanical keyboard. An absolute delight to type on, but they have a jarring clickety sound which my mother hates; hehe. I love it though; gives me a old typewriter vibe and makes me feel cool. Who knew keyboards could make your feel better? :D
The click makes me feel like I'm typing so incredibly fast. My office has several people who use Blues, and when we're all typing it sounds so noisy... but in a good way, y'know?

What keyboard did you get with the blues?

orlando curtis

I have never had that problem ever , and I really haven't actually
seen something like this before in my life. That problem is definitely
not a problem for me.
I have this guy right here...

nonsiccus

I use my Macbook Pro keyboard, and I feel so out of place right now. Am I the only laptop user here?
I'm using a laptop, but I've got it connected to a dock so that I can use dual monitors and a keyboard/mouse set up. When I'm out of the office though, I'll use the onboard keyboard. It's alright and gets the job done, but it just doesn't quite do a full size keyboard justice.

Derek Demuro

Lol, same problem here... they don't last past a year and a half.

My old notebook keyboard lasted less than a year... so I gave it to my parents.

mark edwards, your post about the flakes over a pizza just went over my head... lol I had to stop reading.

nonsiccus

Lol, same problem here... they don't last past a year and a half.

My old notebook keyboard lasted less than a year... so I gave it to my parents.

mark edwards, your post about the flakes over a pizza just went over my head... lol I had to stop reading.
I believe that he was referring to using the crumbs and other gross things that sprinkle out of an upturned keyboard as a seasoning on your pizza. Funny how but would probably result in some severe gastrointestinal distress!

Rohan99

I also have to change my keyboards after about a year and a half because of buttons not working or too many particles being trapped between keys. I want a desktop keyboard that is water proof and has a seal around the buttons to prevent dust from gathering.

Joe Huss

Administrator
Staff member
I've had a few waterproof keyboards over the years, generally you loose alot of the tactile response you get from a keyboard when using those so it can a little more difficult to type with, better off just replacing the keyboard a few times a year.

Also you can stick most keyboards in the dishwasher and run it through a cycle without any soap. Let it dry for a few days (tilted on its side/angle to allow the water to run out) and often the keyboard will be nearly good as new.

Dez97

Honestly I can't say that I have this problem, I am on my computer all the time, and I type a ton when on it. I just I'm not sure why, maybe its just the way I sit around/at my computer. Change up a couple things if you don't like it.

ShaneVP

Well I must say, that is a strange looking keyboard. Although my old laptop keyboard and pretty much every single key missing, making it impossible to type. I don't think I could type very well with that thing going through the middle of the keyboard.

themonk3y

I have been using the keyboard on my laptop for the past 2 years and had no problem with it. Before that as a kid I had a keyboard for over 7 years and it was fine even the writing on the buttons was still there after 7 years. May be it's just you or may be it is a problem with the keyboards manufactured in your local area.

Nice keyboard I've been planning on getting a fully mechanical keyboard because it works better than my current laptop keyboard. However, I don't have a keyboard like yours - that looks nice.