Kernel version on VPS slice

dewigi

Currently running Debian Jessie on a VPS slice.
uname -r returns 2.6.32-042stab127.2
even after
apt install linux-image-3.16.0-6-amd64
Shouldn't this return something like 3.16.0-6stab ?

Bob M

Hi

I believe you are using an OpenVZ VPS wherein the kernel version of the hardware node is same as the VPS. You can get your own desired kernel if you opt to switch to a KVM VPS.

dewigi

That is correct. If I'm running in a container, it makes sense that I can't update the kernel. I am a little surprised that the host is running a kernel from 2009, but there's nothing I can really do about that ;)

Quags

Administrator
Staff member
Legacy openvz on a 2.6.32 kernel reaches end of life: Nov 2019
openvz7 uses a 3.10 kernel. There is no set EOL yet.

Its possible to update on our end the osreleases file on legacy openvz to make it appear there is a newer kernel. Systemd sometimes needs this.

If you are an interserver customer and want to keep the data and system as is, then we can copy you to a new openvz7 system with a 3.10 kernel.

Of course, if you really want 3.16 kernel, our KVM systems are best since you can run your own kernel.

As far as containers vs full virtualization - I Have always been a fan of containers. Openvz has been rock solid, but the development path of openvz7 is not to my liking. I am looking into LXD as a potential successor to openvz as I plan to start limiting new openvz orders probably by nov 2018, and announce their coming end of life. Depending on how openvz7 is going, we may continue offering containers on that route. However there is a chance that by Nov 2019 InterServer will be KVM only with out containers.

dewigi

As far as containers vs full virtualization - I Have always been a fan of containers. Openvz has been rock solid, but the development path of openvz7 is not to my liking. I am looking into LXD as a potential successor to openvz as I plan to start limiting new openvz orders probably by nov 2018, and announce their coming end of life. Depending on how openvz7 is going, we may continue offering containers on that route. However there is a chance that by Nov 2019 InterServer will be KVM only with out containers.
I really hope you guys keep containers around and don't get rid of them altogether. I use LXD in my home lab and have not had any issues with it; good luck with the updates and deployment!

Quags

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks for the feedback. I like containers, always have - I am more annoyed with the way openvz is continuing. LXD is certainly on our radar, we have code ready for it internally so I've noted your feedback and will certainly at least get a beta test going on LXD before any decision is made.

Mainly for containers right now, there is a downside for user's of cpanel who can't get cloudlinux due to lack of kernel access so for cpanel containers are less secure. There may be issues with quotas and LXD, that is user level quotas. Otherwise everything else is nearly the same.