KVM25 down all day ?

hi -

has anybody else been on KVM25 on August 11 and had serious issues ? my service went down at 4am EST and it took a half-dozen reboots to keep the service up (so far). so far i dont know what caused the problem.

my memory usage has been between 65 and 70% used for quite a while now. its been a couple of months since i have even needed to reboot, and today i have been forced to do so several times!

the odd part was immediately after a reboot, it would lock up again.

Last edited:

Ryan Maxey

Sounds like a DDoS, I'd inquire live chat with this, as it could be a bit before Quags sees this. Are you running any type of gaming server?

Quags

Administrator
Staff member
I've updated the ticket with the error, its out of memory due to php-cgi on the vps (from /var/log/messages), the hostnode is up. Although why I think must be due to traffic to apache.

whats confusing me is why everything has worked fine for months, and yet suddenly today i have had to reboot a dozen times - and i am lucky now if the server stays up for but a few minutes !

Quags

Administrator
Staff member
I've updated the ticket with the domain that is the likely cause from the logs.

i now have this script running every five minutes to watch for php-cgi processes:

#! /usr/bin/bash
#
#
# process to monitor how many apache php-cgi processes are running, and reboot
# if we exceed the limit
#

MAX_CGI=25;
DATE=$(date);

phpCgiCnt=$(ps -ef | grep /usr/bin/php-cgi | grep -v grep | wc -l) ;
if [[ $phpCgiCnt -gt $MAX_CGI ]] ;
then
- free | mail -s 'restarting apache ! ! ' mark@mark.com ;
- echo $DATE 'apache restart! found' $phpCgiCnt 'cgi processes' $MAX_CGI 'allowed' ;
- free ;
- /etc/rc.d/init.d/httpd restart ;
- free ;

else
- echo $DATE 'apache OK with' $phpCgiCnt 'cgi processes' $MAX_CGI 'allowed' ;
fi

Last edited:
interesting - this crude script above usually reveals 5-10 php-cgi processes in memory. last night about 4am EST the number suddenly jumped up to 35, so the script restarted apache.

i had the script set to run every three minutes, but i just changed it to two minutes.

Joe Huss

Administrator
Staff member
You might have better performance using the php module instead of the cgi (assuming thats from suphp)