Looking to Move to Interserver ...

Tim Caviness

But I have some questions first.

I'm mainly a designer that also hosts, but I'm taking on a few large php/mysql projects to be ready for beta testing in 2-3 weeks. My current server will not handle the load, and they've kind of ticked me off as of late. I started looking at cloud options but your page explaining cloud-vs-vps got my attention. Cloud really is the same thing as a VPS with hardware redundancy. So I scoured the web looking for VPS servers that would allow me to upgrade my package little by little.

Again, Interserver was near the top in offerings. I narrowed it to three choices (the other two will not be mentioned), and after lurking your new forums, I chose you. I'm big on service; that's how I sell my customers on working with me ... and Quags, you seem to be big on it too. Just wanted you to know that what you're doing works.

Happy customers lead to *newer* happy customers.

On to the questions ... some may be redundant, but I've scoured so many sites in the last day and a half (after spending a day recovering from an Apache nightmare that corrupted 3 mysql databases) ... that I'm tired of looking.

1) You offer an upgrade of an extra IP. I think this is what I need (2 IPs). Here's my situation, and you tell me if I'm thinking right or I need to switch to stronger coffee. I've had trouble with spammers brute-hacking email passwords, and occasionally dropping an email script through sql injection or some other means, and sending out SPAM through my VPS. This causes spamd to crash and that alerts me to go looking for them. It also gets my IP rightfully blacklisted on spamcop, spamhaus, and other RBLs.

In the past, I've limited the # of emails per hour on my accounts to 50 to help discourage spammers. But these new *big* projects will need to have no limitation. If I purchase another IP and set up those big accounts on that separate IP, will that will keep them safe from future SPAM problems if my first IP get spamhaus blacklisted until I get said problem fixed? I'm pretty sure it will; I just want to see the answer for myself.

Also, how would I set up the other IP? Create a reseller account in WHM and associate it with that IP? Have a different server domain just for that IP (and a separate CPanel/WHM)? Hosting1.com would be the first IP, Hosting2.com would be the second? Or is this configurable in the CPanel?

I guess this is when I should tell you I'll opt for a 64-bit Centos 6 CPanel server, a couple slices (with crust) to begin with.

2) I can't find much, if anything, on your site about backup options. What do you suggest? Is that something you offer? I can't find mention of it anywhere. If you don't offer it, does anyone else here have suggestions?

3) When it's time to migrate, is the WHM migration option viable? Does it grab everything (sql dbs, mail & cpanel settings, etc.)? Or should I do everything manually (God, please don't make me pick that option).

4) On one of your pages, I see "Unmanaged low cost linux vps hosting" ... I know the term "managed" is thrown around with abandon. What's the difference between your "unmanaged" vps and a "managed" one? Is there a container (like Virtuozzo) that I can log into when something goes wrong, and I think the answer is restarting the container? Where does Interserver support come into the mix?

e.g. Yesterday, I made some changes to my Apache server, tweaking the start_servers, minimum_spare_servers and maximum_spare_servers, etc. Then I saved the config and rebuit apache ... and it crashed. Hard. Corrupted 3 mysql databases and nothing I did (restarting Apache in WHM, restarting container in Virtuozzo) would help. Would your tech support be able to step in and figure out what the *#$#% went wrong and fix it?

Note: I don't muck around with the OS much. I only did it this time, because the server kept crashing services, and I was trying to lighten the load. I'm not a sysadmin, and I don't pretend to be one. I know just enough to get by and ask stupid questions to people who can answer them.

5) How easy it is to grab another "slice" of VPS server pie? What's the turnaround time if I see an immediate need for more resources?

6) Will the SSD OpenVZ be that much more of a performance increase over a regular HDD OpenVZ? Let's say most of my websites run php/mysql ... with my two huge projects definitely running mysql. How much faster, in percentages, do you think the sites *may* run on SSD? I know that's a loaded question; humor me.

7) On one of your pages, you state "We provide specialized vps hosting secure from DdoS or distributed denial-of-service." Hmm ... I'm just curious how you do that, what tech or algorithm you're using.

8) I've seen here where you recommend using your nameservers instead of using my own. Tell me again why this is the best solution.

I guess that's it.

Thanks to anyone for reading this manifesto of awkward unintelligence. I've been up since 3 this morning (after going to bed at 11) struggling with what to do.

-Tim

Quags

Administrator
Staff member
Hi Tim

Hopefully this will answer all your questions. I've included them inline.

1) You offer an upgrade of an extra IP. I think this is what I need (2 IPs). Here's my situation, and you tell me if I'm thinking right or I need to switch to stronger coffee. I've had trouble with spammers brute-hacking email passwords, and occasionally dropping an email script through sql injection or some other means, and sending out SPAM through my VPS. This causes spamd to crash and that alerts me to go looking for them. It also gets my IP rightfully blacklisted on spamcop, spamhaus, and other RBLs.

In the past, I've limited the # of emails per hour on my accounts to 50 to help discourage spammers. But these new *big* projects will need to have no limitation. If I purchase another IP and set up those big accounts on that separate IP, will that will keep them safe from future SPAM problems if my first IP get spamhaus blacklisted until I get said problem fixed? I'm pretty sure it will; I just want to see the answer for myself.

Also, how would I set up the other IP? Create a reseller account in WHM and associate it with that IP? Have a different server domain just for that IP (and a separate CPanel/WHM)? Hosting1.com would be the first IP, Hosting2.com would be the second? Or is this configurable in the CPanel?

I guess this is when I should tell you I'll opt for a 64-bit Centos 6 CPanel server, a couple slices (with crust) to begin with.
What I can offer you on a cpanel server, is a csf firewall set up with login failure detection. Its better than cpanel's own cphulkd. Doing this, ips will be blocked that enter the wrong password blocking brute forces. As you are aware email's per hour can be limited, but what you may not be aware is spamassassin can scan OUTGOING messages too. Once set up a high spam score outgoing message is blocked. Exploitable script, brute force etc should be blocked from sending most spam. Should something get through we can help removing a blacklist.

2 ips can be done on a VPS, and runs $1 / mo per IP. On a cpanel server an IP is really needed for only two things. SSL certificate (needs ip), or you want the site to have its own IP - for example helping with SEO. I don't believe it helps with SEO, but some people do.

2) I can't find much, if anything, on your site about backup options. What do you suggest? Is that something you offer? I can't find mention of it anywhere. If you don't offer it, does anyone else here have suggestions?
On a VPS we are working on a backup system. Right now you can make a single on demand backup. Beyond that enabling WHM backups either locally or to a remote FTP server is highly recommended.

3) When it's time to migrate, is the WHM migration option viable? Does it grab everything (sql dbs, mail & cpanel settings, etc.)? Or should I do everything manually (God, please don't make me pick that option).
WHM transfer grabs everything and works very well.

4) On one of your pages, I see "Unmanaged low cost linux vps hosting" ... I know the term "managed" is thrown around with abandon. What's the difference between your "unmanaged" vps and a "managed" one? Is there a container (like Virtuozzo) that I can log into when something goes wrong, and I think the answer is restarting the container? Where does Interserver support come into the mix?

e.g. Yesterday, I made some changes to my Apache server, tweaking the start_servers, minimum_spare_servers and maximum_spare_servers, etc. Then I saved the config and rebuit apache ... and it crashed. Hard. Corrupted 3 mysql databases and nothing I did (restarting Apache in WHM, restarting container in Virtuozzo) would help. Would your tech support be able to step in and figure out what the *#$#% went wrong and fix it?

Note: I don't muck around with the OS much. I only did it this time, because the server kept crashing services, and I was trying to lighten the load. I'm not a sysadmin, and I don't pretend to be one. I know just enough to get by and ask stupid questions to people who can answer them.
Our support can help with that. Sounds like you may have saved the config and ran out of memory, making innodb crash bad. Generally speaking I recommend to disable innodb on a VPS because of this possibility, unless there is plenty of free memory. We can fix apache start up errors of course.

5) How easy it is to grab another "slice" of VPS server pie? What's the turnaround time if I see an immediate need for more resources?
You can do this right from our portal, it takes just a few minutes.

6) Will the SSD OpenVZ be that much more of a performance increase over a regular HDD OpenVZ? Let's say most of my websites run php/mysql ... with my two huge projects definitely running mysql. How much faster, in percentages, do you think the sites *may* run on SSD? I know that's a loaded question; humor me.
I'd say 10% - 20% faster, as a guesstimate for sites heavy on mysql. If you are using something that is more CPU/ram intensive you won't have much of a difference.

7) On one of your pages, you state "We provide specialized vps hosting secure from DdoS or distributed denial-of-service." Hmm ... I'm just curious how you do that, what tech or algorithm you're using.
We can block some dos attacks network wise, but not all. Just today there was an incoming flood to a cpanel server and we set up a nginx proxy to handle the attack (software based solution)

8) I've seen here where you recommend using your nameservers instead of using my own. Tell me again why this is the best solution.
I recommend it because its already set up on our end and is geo redundant. If you are familiar running your own already, then certainly you can run your own and likely will never run into an issue. In my experience registering dns for the first time under your own nameservers can be tricky and ever registrar has it in a different place so our support does not always know the option at the registrar for the nameservers.

Tim Caviness

Thanks. That did help very much.

One more ... if I go with a regular OpenVZ VPS .. and a year down the road, decide I need that speed increase of an SSD ... how much trouble would it be to switch? It would basically be moving everything to a new server, right?

And another .. if I set server1 up on IP1 and server2 on IPs ... do I still register the nameservers as ns1.server1.com (pointing to IP1) and ns2.server1.com (pointing to IP2)? Server1 would be the "main" server registered to the vps ... [this.server1.com] for example.

Quags

Administrator
Staff member
Going from openvz to ssd openvz is easy for data copy, but your IP on the vps changes.

You can call the nameservers anything in the format of name.domain.com, as long as they are registered to your VPS that has cpanel running. cPanel creates the dns records you need automatically and has dns software running. There is one dns program on the entire system listening on any IP you have on the vps by default.