MySQL to MariaDB

deanhills

I've just noticed my shared host changing mySQL to MariaDB. However doesn't look as though the breadbasket of WEBUZO has changed to MariaDB. Softaculous still works with mySQL as the default database in its Panels. I know I can change to MariaDB as it is available in WEBUZO, but am just wondering what the future is with mySQL vs MariaDB, since MariaDB seems to be the original developers of mySQL and everyone is moving in that direction.

Quags

Administrator
Staff member
You'll have centos6 with your panel, which by default uses mysql. So you get support into 2020+ for mysql. You can leave as is with out problems.

MariaDB is the future though, and just about all new os's are moving to it. If you haven't completed a site set up yet go with mariadb. It is fully compatible in every way. Also my own tests show it to be slightly faster.

deanhills

Thank you Quags. I haven't set up a site yet. And am using Webuzo. Can I just go ahead and install mariaDB on Webuzo and the mySQL will become mariaDB?

Quags

Administrator
Staff member
In my own tests if you remove mysql and install mariadb over it, /var/lib/mysql is not removed - but the upgrade process is not always correctly done.

You need to take a full mysql dump just to be safe before hand.

Webuzo will try to change the root password for mysql (location in /var/webuzo/my.cnf)

mysql_upgrade may need to be manually run.

deanhills

Thanks for the feedback John. Think I'll wait for Webuzo to go for MariaDB first and wait to change when I really need to and not before. (y)