Possibly moving to Interserver - some questions

DavidW

Looking to move one domain to Interserver. That domain will only point to another domain. No content. We do have about 20 email addresses associated with that domain. How much time will be needed to move the email accounts from the current provider (Rackspace) to Interserver. And, perhaps more importantly, how solid are they as a company and how is their support? I'm told by sales that we can have unlimited emails for the $4.99 per month. Sounds much better than other pricing I've been getting but I'm a cynic by nature. Has everyone using Interserver found it reliable?

Quags

Administrator
Staff member
I believe you are looking at interserver's shared hosting plans. That is 4.95 / month for the standard website hosting. You mention you are moving email - here is the basic rundown on email:

email sending limits:
* the limit is 200 emails per hour per domain. You can create additional domains. This could potentially be raised if needed.
* all mail is filtered through an outbound spam filter / blacklist prevention service called mailchannels to reduce ip blacklisting problems and block spam
* there is no limit on the amount of email accounts that could be created

moving email:
This is tricker. Unless rackspace is using cpanel it won't be possible to easily move all the contents over. Instead a new email account would need to be created on interserver's side, set up in the email client in use, and the folders dragged over.

"the limit is 200 emails per hour per domain"
how about the limit for cpanel's mailing list.

Quags

Administrator
Staff member
The same emails per hour applys to mailing lists as well. For those needing larger mailing lists please contact support so we can confirm the double opt in status.

"the limit is 200 emails per hour per domain"
how about the limit for cpanel's mailing list
The same emails per hour applys to mailing lists as well. For those needing larger mailing lists please contact support so we can confirm the double opt in status.
could you clarify mailing list issue in more details , esp "the double opt in status"

Quags

Administrator
Staff member
double opt-in process is a two-step process, where a subscriber fills out your signup form and receives an email with a link to confirm their subscription. This is part of the terms of service for any type of interserver mailing list.
In addition:
  • Excessive complaints may result in account suspension
  • Messages must have clear removal instructions and valid headers.
  • Removal requests must be completed with in 24 hours.

The limits of 200 / hour are to prevent spam outbreaks that could lead to ip blacklisting, with an additional protection of an outbound spam filter to check on messages.