Putty shortcut, instead of entering details each time (Windows)

Ryan Maxey

This is for the popular SSH client PuTTy, so you can click a shortcut to login to a SSH server instead of having to enter the details each time. I find it annoying to have to enter the details each time since I use long, random passwords and random ports most of the time. This makes it so you don't have to enter details each time you want to login to a SSH server. You need to have putty installed, not just as a "portable" program.

First, right click your desktop > New > Shortcut
In the path enter this: ( If your system is x86, you're going to need to get rid of (x86) from the path. If it can't find it, locatethe PuTTy folder in your systems program files folder(s). )
"C:\Program Files (x86)\PuTTY\putty.exe" -P 22 root@serverip -pw yourpasshere

-P is the port, you can change it to match the server.

You can now click your shortcut instead of having to enter details each time you connect in SSH.

Yanz

Thanks for this! Only problem is if you have multiple servers, you'll have to have an icon for all of them! Another way would be to save all the details in putty itself and use key files with no password. Then you just double click it from the list, it opens the connection, puts your username in and authenticates with your key file, bam.

protoboard

That's a nice trick. The only trouble I see with it is that you'll have your password visible by everyone that has access to your computer and that can't be safe.

nonsiccus

Can't you just enter the details in to the connection manager, and then click save to create a profile per server you're attempting to connect to? This is what I've always done, and I can just select the destination I'd like to SSH to rather than needing a bunch of desktop shortcuts.

Joe Huss

Administrator
Staff member
If you use PuTTY , I recommend you immediately go to http://www.9bis.net/kitty/ and get KiTTY, Its a free+open version of PuTTY with TONS of extra features and options added in. Way too many extra options to list but some of my favorites are running scripts, window transparency , spawning a copy of psftp/WinSCP from a session, exportable/savable connections and and a lot more connection options.

nonsiccus

Nice find Joe - it says on the page that it's a fork from version 0.62 of PuTTY... which just so happens to be version that I'm still on. Thanks for the heads up!

As an aside, do you have any idea if the saved sessions list can be exported from PuTTY and imported to KiTTY?

Joe Huss

Administrator
Staff member
There are tools that can do it just search for em on Google, its been years since I tried but yes. I know there are 3rd party programs that will both Import and Export your PuTTY registry settings into a file. (KiTTY then has the option to store in registry or i a local file to make it portable)

Wolt

Thanks for the tip! Just what I needed, couldn't guess the answer to my problem was so simple.

prey

Thanks for the share, also for the fact that Joe has found such a marvelous feature! Kudos to you!

Thanks for this share, this is a problem I run into all of the time and I am interested in following this guide and trying it out - looking forward to seeing how it goes.

Sean Lich

I cannot WAIT to try this tomorrow. I've been looking for something very much exactly like this, but it seems to me support for PuTTy isn't all that great.

If you have any more, I'd love to see them