Safe with blogger or should I migrate to Wordpress?

Jatelo2

First, I want to say that I used the search box on this site to find the exact thread or a close one but didn't. So, I'll go ahead and ask this question without the fear of spaming the forum in any way.

I love blogging but know very little about HTML and web design neither do I have an in-depth understanding of the working of various blogging platforms. So, please understand my fears. My blog is hosted freely on Blogger. the only thing I pay for is the domain name. Now, I know that most blogs are on Wordpress which I also understand doesn't not host custom domains freely. I've often wondered why people don't trust blogger with their content; which forms basis for my questions:
  1. Can Google one day delete my content (assuming I break one of their rules unknowingly)?
  2. What is it that I stand to gain if I were to migrate to WordPress that I'm not enjoying at blogger currently?
Thanks in advance for your help.

Quags

Administrator
Staff member
For any service, free or paid, look to see if you can back up your data and keep it on your local PC. Any free service could be shut down - google has shut down services in the past.

One advantage to hosting your own domain on a shared hosting account is you can install wordpress on that and manage the site yourself, as well as take a backup in cpanel. Then you can keep the entire site contents and restore it easier.

Right now wordpress is the standard in blogging, I can't really say much about blogger.

Jatelo2

That Google has shut down services in the past only points to the possibility of them doing so with Blogger one day. Now, what are the ramifications of migrating my blog from Blogger platform to Wordpress? I mean, what happens to my links and traffic? I remember, how adding a custom domain to my blog lowered its ranking thus the reluctance.

Jonesy

Unless you can setup something to redirect your links, you lose them. That is the advantage to getting your own domain name, whether you use free web hosting or a shared service. The links that are built to that domain name stay with domain name. For example, if you buy and register the site ABC.com and use blogger to host it, any links and traffic stay with ABC.com, even if you move it to another host.

Dinesh

Getting your own domain name and installing a blog software is much much better than running a hosted blog. That way you can have far more control on your blog and like Jonesy said, you wont have problem when you migrate from one host to another.

InterWinter

Google can and will delete your blog if they believe it goes against their terms of service (ToS). So long as what you put on your blog complies with their ToS, I think you'll be fine. Personally I would host it on my own domain and server just so I can back my stuff up if it is important.

Intensity

Your initial comments leave far too much room for people to run off on rants, and thus avoid or mis interpret your actual questions.

1. Yes

If you breach any service providers TOS you run the risk of losing any and all content without notice.
2. What you stand to gain is a matter of personal preference.

Software/scripts are what they are. Some people prefer the WP script over Blogger, while others prefer blogger over WP. It's a matter of themes, plugins, and features/functionality. Both scripts do what they are designed to do. Share content.

The difference between any blog script is layout, and how much control you have in the ACP of your content. In order to say which one is right for you... well the best thing you can do is check both dev sites and see which ones offer you the plugins and control of your content in ways that matter most to you.​

jfab

Blogger is cool. It is easy to put stuff in there and it's powered by Google so it's easy to get notice on search engines. I only use Wordpress for backlinks.

Foodie TR

I think you should stay on Blogger. Migrating to WordPress will not solve your problems.

To answer your questions:
1. Google will not block you unless you break a stringent rule. It will be too obvious to you that you have broken something big. So don't worry about that.
2. You do not stand to gain anything substantial. You can probably use the same Google AdSense account to get hits.

hansenlaw

Wordpress is just much easier to use with very little hassle. Plus it`s gained a lot of traction in the past 2 years so more and more people use it. I`d say switch over to Wordpress.

I've never heard of a problem with people getting banned with blogspot, and find it much easier to use. However, if you are looking for long term profitability, I would recommend using wordpress because it is a lot more legit and has many more useful things you can do with it.

Dez97

Personally I use blogger for my blogs and I've never had a problem. I've been using blogger for over 3 years now,a nd my blog gets many views as I advertise it well. Blogger is connected to your Google account however you can solve that problem very quickly. I had blogger before I ever got my Google account, I don't know if that has changed though but that's the way it was when I first joined.

The only thing I don't like about blogger is their lack of themes, and ways of really personalizing you're blog and making it you're own. I think at word press you would gain that, as well as more views to your blog.
All in all Word press would be very nice, but I think Blogger just gives you a lot more freedom, and that's something I really enjoy with my blogs.

First, I want to say that I used the search box on this site to find the exact thread or a close one but didn't. So, I'll go ahead and ask this question without the fear of spaming the forum in any way.

I love blogging but know very little about HTML and web design neither do I have an in-depth understanding of the working of various blogging platforms. So, please understand my fears. My blog is hosted freely on Blogger. the only thing I pay for is the domain name. Now, I know that most blogs are on Wordpress which I also understand doesn't not host custom domains freely. I've often wondered why people don't trust blogger with their content; which forms basis for my questions:
  1. Can Google one day delete my content (assuming I break one of their rules unknowingly)?
  2. What is it that I stand to gain if I were to migrate to WordPress that I'm not enjoying at blogger currently?
I think that you should do want you want actually but if you feel risky about it move to wordpress.

Bennykernow

Wordpress is to Android, what Blogger is to iOS. Weird analogy, but it holds true.

Blogger is restrictive. You can change themes, add a few widgets here and there, but the core system is very strict. It's great for casual bloggers and those of us who just want a personal journal or private space.

Wordpress is extensively customizable. There is active development on plugins by a huge amount of dedicated people. You can essentially get your site to look exactly how you want, with intense statistics and more. It really is an amazing script that needs to get more attention.

suegiplaye

It is recommended that you use WordPress when you own a blog. That is what I was told by a professional blogger that is very successful with her blog. She told me you can actually make money with WordPress in comparison to Google Blogger. People take you more seriously with WordPress because the layout is more professional.

It won't make any big difference if you migrate to wordpress because there's also rules which you will need to stick too,
and generally the best option would be for you to buy a domain name. good luck ^^

sixxup

I had more blogger sites than wordpress. I find it easier when am editing my blogs on blogger than wordpress. I think it is because I knew about blogger before knowing wordpress.

wilsonjr

Everything I've done in the past and do now is Wordpress. I've become quite proficient in it and it certainly is a powerful tool. Worth learning for sure. I pay for my own hosting that I picked specifically that suited my content and away I went. Steer away from free blog sites as they can easily go under unknowingly causing you to lose everything.

appleannie

I have had bad experiences with Blogger. I think Word Press blogs might be visited more frequently. I do not think that my Blogger blogs have been visited too much. I am thinking of trying another blog. However, the next time I try, I think I will try at Word Press.

GeeCee

If you are worried if you will ever lose all of your material you get used a Blogger blog, then the answer is yes, you do have that chance of losing all of your material.

If you are starting off with a new blog, I would just pay the $20 down to purchase a domain, and then three dollars a month to host it. I mean, it's basically the price of a Starbucks coffee. Why give someone the control to delete or without warning?

suegiplaye

If you do your research you will see the more popular blogs online are with a WordPress website and not with a Blogger website. If you want to look more professional , a WordPress blog to me wins against Blogger. I started out with Blogger but then I switched out to WordPress because that is what I was told by a successful blogger was the best way to go.

I don't know much about how WordPress works since I just mostly utilize Blogger. Well, if you just want to try and test the waters, it wouldn't hurt to blog with WordPress. I believe in order for you to gain success with your site, you have got to familiarize with all things regarding blogging first.

SirJoe

Blogger is much easier to work with and personalize but you can't ignore all the apps and templates wordpress has. Wordpress is much flexible then blogger and you can do a whole lot more with it. If you have the possibility to try wordpress out, do so, you have nothing to lose both platforms are free.

artyarson

I would suggest staying at Blogger but using WordPress a simple back-up. The first will continue to be regarded as the main thing.

Google does not delete your content unless someone files a DMCA against the content you have posted. If you are using free hosting service, Blogger is better than Wordpress because you can monetize your free blog on blogger but not on wordpress. Since Adsense and blogger both are google's product, you can use easily use Adsense on blogger.

Here are my answer to your questions:
  1. Yes, Google can delete your blog if ever you breach their terms of service. However, the possibility of that happening isn't that high if you are pretty responsible and careful with your blog posts.
  2. Well, WordPress is said to be an easier site to install, maintain and customise. It has lots of themes to choose from as well. Another good thing is that it has a one click installation process, which is what attracts it the most to newbies.

zalan.reilly

I love blogging but know very little about HTML and Nox Vidmate VLC web design neither do I have an in-depth understanding of the working of various blogging platforms. So, please understand my fears. My blog is hosted freely on Blogger. the only thing I pay for is the domain name. Now, I know that most blogs are on Wordpress which I also understand doesn't not host custom domains freely. I've often wondered why people don't trust blogger with their content; which forms basis for my questions:
Plus it`s gained a lot of traction in the past 2 years so more and more people use it. I`d say switch over to Wordpress.

jessewalter375

Unless you can setup something to redirect your links, you lose them. That is the advantage to getting your own domain name, whether you use free web hosting or a shared service. The links that are built to that domain name stay with domain name. For example, if you buy and register the site ABC.com and use blogger to host it, any links and traffic stay with ABC.com, even if you move it to another host.

Hope this information is helpful to you.