Simple but pro looking website

calebmelvern

What kind of website are you planning to set up? I'm sure you've probably heard of Blogger and Wordpress. You can use both for free, but it will be better if you are going to have a self-hosted website. But if you're fine with these blogging platforms, you can choose from plenty of free themes and templates on the web.

ShaneVP

Anyone know where i can do a somewhat pro looking website for free?
How bad is your budget? Are you wanted free hosting + a free domain? If so, you will not have a 'pro' looking website while it is on a free domain. To look more 'pro' I do advise you to spend a little bit of money on a .com, .org, .net etc.

It also depends what kind of website you are making, a blog, a forum or an actual website?

prey

The Invision Power Board (IPS) doesn't offer a free template for you to freely use, but I warmly suggest you to give it at least a try because, for their price, they do offer some nicely-done and overall good-looking templates which you may more than guaranteed like!
If you don't invest something, then you must expect utter trash from everybody to offer, honestly. But, I must second everyone above, Wordpress is probably the one that's the most decent looking of all the currently existing competition that don't actually force you to pay but, like I've already stated, you must invest something, as low as $1 at least...

Dez97

Honestly I have never found any that was good and free, I have always had to pay for it. I do suggest you listen to the comments above though, cause I will be too.

calebmelvern

Honestly I have never found any that was good and free, I have always had to pay for it. I do suggest you listen to the comments above though, cause I will be too.
This. Free hosting is almost always not worth it. You can find cheap web hosting now anyway, so you shouldn't worry about spending too much money. With a $15 budget, you can easily get a domain + hosting service.

titohunter

What kind of website are you planning to set up? I'm sure you've probably heard of Blogger and Wordpress. You can use both for free, but it will be better if you are going to have a self-hosted website. But if you're fine with these blogging platforms, you can choose from plenty of free themes and templates on the web.
Thanks i will consider those too. What is wordpress though? Does it give you a normal site name or is wordpress behind it?

titohunter

Exactly, i agree with you. You do get what you pay for and the free ones are always so sucky. I'll just go ahead and pay i guess.

themonk3y

If you want to create a pro looking website for free I would recommend you to install WordPress on a free web hosting. The free web hosting that I can recommend is 000webhost. They have some decent features and a decent up time for free users.
Thanks i will consider those too. What is wordpress though? Does it give you a normal site name or is wordpress behind it?
WordPress is a content management system which powers almost all the blogs that are on the internet today. WordPress can be used to create websites, blogs, forums and much more. There are two ways to start a WordPress blog/website. Installing WordPress on private web host or using wordpress.com. If you use wordpress.com you will get a sub domain which will be some thing like "abc.wordpress.com" it will also include some basic features, plugins and themes. Whereas installing WordPress on a private server (which I highly recommend) would give you a lot of control over your website and also give you access to a lot features.

WordPress is free to use. It also has a lot of free plugins and themes which can be downloaded from the WordPress plugin and theme directory for free. If you plan on creating a website on a paid hosting I want to recommend you to first install and play around with WordPress on a free web hosting and get familiar to it before moving to a paid plan.

Jacobr5000

I would highly recommend using WordPress if you want to create a free blog (although, I would even more highly recommend purchasing hosting and a domain from GoDaddy for just $12/year if you run a small website). I've seen some seriously impressive content produced from websites that have really small budgets. You'd be surprised at how many themes there are to choose from.

themonk3y

I would highly recommend using WordPress if you want to create a free blog (although, I would even more highly recommend purchasing hosting and a domain from GoDaddy for just $12/year if you run a small website). I've seen some seriously impressive content produced from websites that have really small budgets. You'd be surprised at how many themes there are to choose from.
Do they have a plan where they plan hosting and the domain for $12 a year, I have been to their site a couple of times but I never found a similar package or offer. Are you sure they have such a package ?

Dez97

This. Free hosting is almost always not worth it. You can find cheap web hosting now anyway, so you shouldn't worry about spending too much money. With a $15 budget, you can easily get a domain + hosting service.
Can you suggest a specific site for this?

calebmelvern

Can you suggest a specific site for this?
You mean for hosting? My favorite is MDDHosting, but their plans are a bit more expensive compared to other companies. I use NameCheap to register domain names and host them on MDDHosting. Some hosting services also include a free domain on your first purchase, so you will even save more money. Check out hosting24 and Arvixe.

SuperiorCallz

I'm sure you can achieve this with websites such as Weebly, Wix or even Wordpress. I personally don't really like website builders, but they're still usable. I'd really recommend finding a web designer if you don't mind spending a little money depending on the type of website you're looking for.

Yanz

Web builders are horrible in my opinion, you could use this as an opportunity to learn how to build websites! There are plenty of resources out there. For domain names I stick with InternetBS, they've got decent pricing and free private whois. For hosting, I'd just avoid any EIG brand hosting and reading up on reviews for any that you are considering using.

Rowe992

There are a lot of free web hosting services and website development sites such as weebly and 1freehosting. There are templates there and you can also code your own website. It's really simple and easy to use and you can even purchase the domain name if you want. The websites look professional and you will never know it was done with templates.

vegito12

There are some sites like simple sites and some others which are free, and easy to make and gives good choices in what you want to do. It is better spending some money and getting some good ones done and make sure the company is well known. Vistaprint is good one, with great designs and $8 bucks a month is good and get web address phone support and email address and unlimited pages. The dearest one is $20.66 a month and get more such as, premium web pages, unlimited pages and unlimited email address, premium site report, phone support, social media and matching mobile site as well as a shopping carts, and search engine tools. So this is a good site to use, and not a lot to pay each month which is good.

NathanG

You might want to look into one of the many free available websites builders, or were you wanting more of a blog? For a blog I would recommend either Tumblr or Blogger, according to your preference of course. A service like Webs or Weebly might help you just make a static site.

Jatelo2

I run a free blog on the Blogger platform and only spend $10 year for domain renewal. However, I'm getting what I'm paying :). I mean, Blogger platform is free but hardly professional looking.

Should I decide to transfer my blog to WordPress.. how much will I be spending in a year?

powerfulmind

You can do pro website in many places just type your query in on google search, but I must tell you
that in order to have a decent domain name you will have to fork out some cash & it will probably
be rather cheap, so no big issues.

calebmelvern

I run a free blog on the Blogger platform and only spend $10 year for domain renewal. However, I'm getting what I'm paying :). I mean, Blogger platform is free but hardly professional looking.

Should I decide to transfer my blog to WordPress.. how much will I be spending in a year?
Sorry for the late reply. This is a hard decision, especially if your blog is already established. If you're already getting a great amount of traffic, then you might not want to switch platforms. Otherwise, I recommend moving to WordPress.

Jatelo2

Sorry for the late reply. This is a hard decision, especially if your blog is already established. If you're already getting a great amount of traffic, then you might not want to switch platforms. Otherwise, I recommend moving to WordPress.
I can say my Blog is already established..One of my post just got curated on StumbleUpon and so far I have 15,000+ page views just today alone.. I may leave this blog on Blogger then start another on Wordpress, what do you think?

Sparkster

I was also going to suggest Weebly, Wix and 000webhost but it seems all three of them have already been proposed. Alternatively, you could try Google Sites.

djinter

Go with WP, they are good for that kind of thing. You can find a ton of free website templates too.

I built my website using google sites too once. Its still around. You can try that too, its absolutely free.

I'd also suggest either WordPress or Blogger, both sites are free. But if you are serious about writing, you can try building your own site since that can attract more readers. However, for the time being, you can just try out either of these two sites and see whether they will work for you. When the time comes that you'd want to build your own domain, just transfer all your work to your new site.