stand-alone mysql server?

Quags

Administrator
Staff member
As long as the latency is low and the connection is large enough for your queries it is a good idea.

Benefits are:
1) lower your server load by moving mysql to a dedicated machine
2) increase your mysql response time, it is just being used for mysql. Almost all disk cache is going just for that
3) may be easier to backup, because it is dedicated just to mysql. Really depends on the setup though.
4) can lead to better security, for example you can ip restrict just to your local ip address or place it in a local network.

you think the economical openVZ is the way to go? a slice or two? (i assume we are talking about an interserver account!)

Ryan Maxey

It all depends on the site, if you ask me. If your site isn't presenting any kind of load issues, speed, stability, etc; I'd just stay with a all-in-one. Can you give us an idea of your current setup, and site size? How many slices is your current VPS? If you're gonna switch, and your site is currently only 1-2 slices, you'll only need 1 slice. How much load is your server under in prime time? Having a dedicated mysql server all depends on the sites needs, some it's a complete waste of time and money, and other it's absolutely essential.

i currently have three KVM slices so i am not exactly what you call a power-user, yet.

the reason i bring this up is occasionally when i run a wordpress application, it really seems to consume all my resources, including apache web-server (no i didnt write the application, fortunately). when i do a unix "top" command, i see mysql is the culprit.

but beyond the practical reasons for a mysql server, there is something just pretty damn sexy about it, although i cant really say why that is.

Ryan Maxey

You may want to consider changing your web server to something like LightHttpd, Nginx, or LiteSpeed. They consume way less resources. Personally, If I was in your position I would change my VPS platform from KVM to OpenVZ, and simply get an additional 2 slices for what you're currently paying for 3, on KVM.
So, that'd bring you from a 1 core machine, with 1536 MB of ram, to a dual core machine and 2560 MB of ram, doubling your resources for no additional cost. Also, which operating system are you using ?

i am using centOS.

one of our primary core components is using a java-based server called Red5. from my research, anything to do with java seems to run happier in KVM. i just finished switching it over from openVZ to KVM and have noticed a marked improvement.

i looked into engine-x. it seems to be a terrific idea for somewhat static websites. we have a couple of php/mysql applications that make server-calls back to red5.

i also run multi-user-wordpress.

also, according to john Q, if and when i decide to migrate to the cloud, KVM puts me in a better position.

the long-term strategy is to run a dedicated server !

Ryan Maxey

i am using centOS.

one of our primary core components is using a java-based server called Red5. from my research, anything to do with java seems to run happier in KVM. i just finished switching it over from openVZ to KVM and have noticed a marked improvement.

i looked into engine-x. it seems to be a terrific idea for somewhat static websites. we have a couple of php/mysql applications that make server-calls back to red5.

i also run multi-user-wordpress.

also, according to john Q, if and when i decide to migrate to the cloud, KVM puts me in a better position.

the long-term strategy is to run a dedicated server !
Ah, yeah I can see that, it's always wanting CPU no matter what it's doing. I would recommend you LiteSpeed (As a web server), the free supports 150 open connections and like 4 virtual hosts. I use that on a few sites, and I must say, it's superior to Apache. Also, since everything is an easy to learn online interface, it's so quick, and easy to configure. LiteSpeed also has an open source project called OpenLiteSpeed, I've heard good about it but I've never first hand used it. In this case, you're better off to just get another VPS (I'd say OpenVZ, and install Debian x32 onto (Debian is less bloated than CentOS, by default less things are enabled, making it perfect if you just intend on using it as a dedicated MySQL server)

thanks ryan !

i am one of these weirdo types that likes using virtualmin/webmin - and they are not too keen on anything except apache.

also, i dont think apache performance has been much of a problem.

interesting suggestion on centOS vs debian. it seems like centOS has become the OS of choice for many virtual-private-server situations.

of course, now you got me thinking about isolating the java-red5 server instead... but i will save that for another thread!

Quags

Administrator
Staff member
The VPS images installed for both centos and debian are very lite, especially KVM. Few services are running, normally ssh and just the bare minimum of services like syslog so memory usage is low to begin with.

well good, because i have grown sort of partial to centoOS - but that's probably because cnetOS is all i have ever used on interserver.

Hanaseru

It can be possible that the mysql server takes a longer amount of time to respond than localhost, which could cause lag.

Quags

Administrator
Staff member
Early morning typing - I meant planning

By that I mean, with forward planning two servers or VPS's can be placed on systems close to each other with low latency.

oh good - i thought you were throwing yet another term at me that i had no idea what you meant.

so are you saying i could have a KVM account and open-VZ account that are close to eachother? is this something i have to clear with interserver first?

Quags

Administrator
Staff member
"cleared" is the wrong term. Its just that if you place an order for a mysql server, the server that it gets set up on may need to be changed after set up. By default it goes by lowest load on a new sign up. After set up we'll just need to move it to the closest server, based on what server you are connecting to the mysql server from. So, i'd look for a server with in the same rack, and if not possible, same edge router.