Unlimited... really?

d-Wizz

I'm considering relocation of my website.

Need to verify that "unlimited" really means that. My site has about 100Gb of data on it at the moment

After getting 552 "disk full" errors, I got an email from my current "unlimited" web host grumbling about the amount of space my site is using.

This is only the tip of the iceberg.

I was planning to have 1Tb on there by the end of next year.

Can you assure me there will be no problems with hosting 1TB data with 100Gb traffic per month?

Quags

Administrator
Staff member
There has not been an issue with disk space in the past. Most do not use much space, but some use over 200GB. There are specific requirements to a shared hosting plan. Specifically there are some sites that can not be hosted on a shared webhosting plan:

Not permitted are:
* Public mirror (vps or server plan required)
* image, file, or other hosting services, including email services (vps or server plan required)
* sites that resell space space, include a free hosting site (a reseller plan, vps or server is required)
* Off site storage / backup storage. Example: your own computer backup - vps or server required
* Proxy site (such a web anonymizer) - vps or server
* seo link farm - never allowed
* chat scripts - vps or server
* IRC services - never allowed
* forums with over 2000 members (vps or server needed)
* mailing lists with over 2000 members
* file inodes are also soft limited at 250,000 and hart limited at 350,000

Based on the information given so far I can't say if your account would fit into these policies.

d-Wizz

Based on the information given so far I can't say if your account would fit into these policies.
I have a small company which, among other things, creates and distrubutes multimedia products (sound/video recordings, etc.) of my music projects and a few friends. The company is 12 years old and has a substantial catalogue of material.

The website is the main portal for distribution of the catalogue; as the music industry has moved into the "digital age", we no longer rely as much on physical media to get product to consumers.

Hence the need for big files and bandwidth.

While this is the website's major function, it also doubles as my persinal site, although this takes up only a few megabytes.

Maybe the 1TB / 100Gb are exaggerated estimates, but I don't want any surprises from my web host if the site does get that big.

Aree Wongwanlee

I think the issue of unlimited space or unlimited bandwidth is a self-correcting concept. Like, if you really have that much content, you will need to have that much more bandwidth to cope with the visitors. However, although the amount of bandwidth is unlimited, there is a hard limit in the io speed. So even if you are going full blast 24/7, there is only that much traffic that your site can get with the given io speed.

Having said that, I think it's correct to say that hardly anyone exceeds any limits on an unlimited host. I am not on an unlimited host but I am using hardly even half of my allocation.

Quags

Administrator
Staff member
I think a standard shared plan is not the best place for what you are describing. You probably would have no issues with our shared hosting, except perhaps inodes, but overall I think it is not the best package. You would

- not have backups (they are not done over 10GB in size for sites)
- may hit your inode limit on the file system before you get all your data up.

The bandwidth level is really not that high.

I believe your best fit would be a combination of a shared host for your site, and object storage for your distribution. With object storage your files are stored in three locations, your site still would get backups and there is not an inode limit on object storage because it distributes over many servers.

Last edited:

d-Wizz

I believe your best fit would be a combination of a shared host for your site, and object storage for your distribution. With object storage your files are stored in three locations, your site still would get backups and there is not an inode limit on object storage because it distributes over many servers.
I did a little research on "object storage" and my head began to spin. What is it? Your website does not mention it - do you offer it? At what cost?

Please provide a costed solution to your suggestion above.

Quags

Administrator
Staff member
Right now InterServer uses swift object storage for our VPS backups. It is not released to the public yet, but from my own personal experience with using the software, it sounds like it fits your distribution needs for sound/video files perfectly. Openstack swift similar to amazon s3, and is really rackspace cloud files. It is something we will eventually offer, probably with in 3 - 6 months as right now the last hurdle is integration into my.interserver.net and our billing system.

Sean Lich

I think the issue of unlimited space or unlimited bandwidth is a self-correcting concept. Like, if you really have that much content, you will need to have that much more bandwidth to cope with the visitors. However, although the amount of bandwidth is unlimited, there is a hard limit in the io speed. So even if you are going full blast 24/7, there is only that much traffic that your site can get with the given io speed.

Having said that, I think it's correct to say that hardly anyone exceeds any limits on an unlimited host. I am not on an unlimited host but I am using hardly even half of my allocation.
This question comes up WAY too often. "Well how much space do I need?" My answer is always "well, it is quite easy to figure that out, let me look into it"

Even websites that range around 25-30mb, my client almost ALWAYS goes for unlimited. Yknow, because they "want room to grow".

And yet, when I tell them they need more bandwidth, they look at me flabbergasted.

d-Wizz

...It is something we will eventually offer, probably with in 3 - 6 months as right now the last hurdle is integration into my.interserver.net and our billing system.
So what you're saying is that, right now, your service can't handle my site's expected traffic? And I still haven't seen a $$$ figure.

Quags

Administrator
Staff member
Since object storing is not something we are selling yet, I can not give a price on it. I do feel that is the best kind of service for your site description over shared hosting. 100GB isn't high on a bandwidth/traffic level the fact that it appears to be an image/file type hosting website places it at odds with most shared hosting terms of service, including ours.