using interserver.net and google-mail

hello all -

ever since i started using google-mail with my domain names, i find google-mail far easier than using dovecot or any local mail server. and of course if (heaven forbid) one ever needs to change servers, you dont need to worry about where your mail lives.

here is how i did it:

1) create the google-apps account:
http://www.google.com/intl/en/enterprise/apps/business/index.html

(there is a free one somewhere, but just sign up for the paid one and google will switch you back to the free one after the 30-day deal expires)

2) you will need to prove you own the domain name, either using a CNAME record (easiest) or upload a google html file to your server.

3) log into my.interserver.net

4) click Domains---->DNS_Manager

5) enter your domain name and IP number and click the "Add New DNS Entry" button (if you have not already done so)

6) click the wrench far right next to your domain name

7) create the following MX records: (leave the subdomain blank)

ASPMX.L.GOOGLE.COM.(priority 1)
ALT1.ASPMX.L.GOOGLE.COM. (priority 5)
ALT2.ASPMX.L.GOOGLE.COM.(priority 5)
ASPMX2.GOOGLEMAIL.COM.(priority 10)
ASPMX3.GOOGLEMAIL.COM.(priority 10)

8) you can use http://www.iptools.com/ to check your MX record setting. look for "DNS Lookup: third one down from right'. note that using 1and1.com this can take several hours.

9) enjoy!

Wiseword

That's a good trick, thanks for sharing. Interesting to know that Google will switch you back to the free service after the trial period expires. Do you have to send a request to Google for that?

no, i accidentally set up one of 'em on the 30-day trial. at the end of 30 days, google gave me the option of switching for free.

personally, i like this option better than trying to self-host a mail server, even though doveCot is pretty cool stuff.

James Corthell

You can sign up for a free google apps account here; so long as your registrar (or in this case, host) allows you to edit your MX records you can use it pretty easily. I use eNom as my registry and just have them host my dns and have done a similar setup with them.

hmmm interesting - i see you are correct that google still has the free one. you get the same thing by letting your 30-day account expire, but your method is cleaner.

i wonder why google made this a bit more difficult?

James Corthell

Probably to make people think they have to use the business account to make more $? I just setup a domain on the standard this afternoon (we're working on a weekly top 5 script) with my method; it may be a little hidden but still works :).