VPS Features included in My.InterServer.net you may be unaware of

Quags

Administrator
Staff member
InterServer's VPS control panel at https://my.interserver.net provides a lot of features you may be unaware of. Here is a small list of features:

1) Backup creation - under system management under the VPS you can create a backup of a running VPS. For KVM there is no downtime, and with openvz there is a small amount of downtime for backups. These are stored on interserver cloud storage systems and does not count toward your space usage. These backups can be restored onto a new VPS or a reinstall with the same VPS.

2) Server monitoring - under the monitoring tab in my.interserver.net you can monitor an external IP address for services like ping or httpd. Email can be sent on failure.

3) DNS Control - using cdns1/cdns2/cdns3.interserver.net under my.interserver.net -> domains -> dns manager create and manage your own dns records. These dns servers are geo distributed (NJ and LA). Great for a small vps looking to lower memory usage by not running a separate dns server.

4) Reboot / stop / start and reinstall under system management.

5) Out of band VNC - KVM only - set up vnc to connect out of band to your system. You can connect even if networking is down on your VPS. A similar feature coming soon for openvz.

6) Tons of OS choices available now - Gentoo / Centos / Debian / Ubuntu / Windows 2008/2012 and more.

7) Purchase additional harddrive space - under system management. You don't need to add additional slices to increase just disk space on your VPS.

8) Add additional slices - under system management. Increase cpu / memory / disk space and bandwidth limit all at once.

All of the above can be done with out contacting support for assistance.

Quags

Administrator
Staff member
If you loose network connection (say iptables rule locks you out) you can still access the system.

You could also turn ssh off.

SwagBear

I actually didn't know most of these, so thanks for this. The first one is a very good one for me. It's essential considering the type of website that I have.