VPS newbie - what do I need to know?

topaward

I currently develop Prestashop sites on shared hosting. I'm tired of down time - it can really kill the creative process!
If I'm not familiar with installing php, mySql and all the other things I would need. My days of setting up infrastructure in corporate IT are long gone after 20 years.
If I sign up for VPS, what do I need the skills to do?
What are the daily tasks I need to make time for?
Do I have to watch up times and monitor as if it's under my desk?
Is there a demo of a VPS account that will show me what I'm in for?

Any guidance is greatly appreciated!

~Jo

Quags

Administrator
Staff member
First question is, will you go with a control panel like cpanel or directadmin?

If yes, then apache,php,mysql,mail all come preinstalled. Updates are automatic and with the exception of adding a firewall in my opinion you are good to go.

If no, then installing apache, php can be done in command line (ssh) but requires manual configuration after installing. For example on centos yum install mysql can be used and debian/ubuntu apt-get install mysql

For a VPS the hostnode itself is monitored by InterServer. You can use monitoring provided in our vps portal or an external monitoring system like hyperspin to monitor the vps directly.

Quags

Administrator
Staff member
I'd recommend cpanel in that case because it will come with all the software preinstalled and ready to go, as well as an admin side to create new accounts.

topaward

Quags - as you know, I signed up :eek:) I'm not seeing what I need in regards to php, mySql - Maybe I'm missing something though? Appreciate the guidance!

Welcome to this forum. Hope that you'll enjoy your time here and if you have any questions feel free to ask me and I'll try to help you. :)

It really depends on what you are doing. I'm sure that you can look up youtube videos to get a guide for what to do and have someone to walk you through it.

Zergeous

Hello @topaward,
To setup a VPS you will need to learn the basics of the Linux terminal, otherwise you might not be able to set up all the tools and applications needed to host a website.

If you're looking for a good webpanel to manage the sites on the VPS, I would suggest you to try out Ajenti or zPanel. Both will do the job just fine, but zPanel is a bit more like cPanel.

Hope my answer helped you,
Zergeous

prey

I will second everybody above, it solely depends on what you want to do. If you want to have VPS, it would be really tech-savvy friendly because some have special easy guides for beginners who just want to go straight at work, but it would be recommended to learn Linux in this case. For Wpanel, I suggest you zPanel, like Zergeous has previously stated, too.

kitty

Quote: "I currently develop Prestashop sites on shared hosting."

That's what I've trying to help my son do for the last week - finally settled on the Autumn theme for his jewelry store.

Why would you need to be tech savi if you order the CPANEL for $10/mo more. Doesn't that take care of everything except security issues?

How long is that $6.00/mo good for or I should say $16.00 if you had cpanel and that includes 1 dedicated IP and 1GB of Ram. If that's correct, it sounds like a great deal. But what about nenewals? Will that price go up in 6 months or a year?