Ways to fight off Spam

Keith Hinton

Howdy, everybody.
I thought instead of me giving useful details or anything like that pertaining ot server admin documents, I'd simply make a short post, and see how many people read/reply with differnet opinions.
So, I thought I'd ask a fun question.
What are some of the methods that some of you have used to control span, and more importantly, insure that a spammer has no way to send spam through your InterServer VPS, etc?
Well, there it is, feel free to start going reply-crazy!
Regards,
Keith

since this is an open forum, i like to let google-mail handle all my mail anyways. then we are free to switch hosting companies** if necessary and not worry about the mail.

** or should i say we are free to UPGRADE from openVZ to kvm without giving a second thought to the mail.

Quags

Administrator
Staff member
There is also botscount / Fspamlist and spambused (for forums).

Email wise spamassassin is all there is on directadmin / cpanel servers really. You can also add CLAMAV virus scanner that will pick up virus's and some phishing emails.

Violescent

Installing a "report" feature helps you to be alerted by other members if spam hits when you are not online. You can quickly ban the spammer before he gets too far.

Navid

Best one is Google Apps that am using and you can also use Box Trapper when someone sends you an email for the first time, Box Trapper responds back asking them to reply to prove their not a spammer or bot. If they reply they can be white listed and never have to do it again.

Quags

Administrator
Staff member
I don't recommend box trapper because the auto responder might cause your own server to be blacklisted if it sends out unsolicited mail.

oldwriter

I use forum software. In all the constant to prevent spam is pre-moderating posts to new users.

You must have a certain number of posts approved to send PM and email to members. In any case, the email is not shown in plain text in any way, but a mail server is used directly. Preferably via a external server such as google apps.

As for the anti-spam scripts I've tried, Akismet has been a five-star one. It is present in systems like phpbb and smf forum. Pretty recommended.

allswl

See if your accounts have passwords that are weak. Typically a spammer will connect to a server the try a couple hundred common passwords and then move on to the next server. Never use a password that is the same as the domain name and username. Try using passwords that contain lower and upper case letters, symbols and numbers.

Dez97

Before they join my site, its in the warning rules, and the terms. So whenever they do start spamming they get banned right away. I take it very seriously the people that join my site, and if you can't follow the rules like everyone else then you must leave.

However I will check out some of the idea's posted, and thanks for the thread it was really helpful.

I use a couple:

For wordpress: http://akismet.com/ to stop comment spam

For the forum: http://www.stopforumspam.com to stop spam posts. Maybe 1 - 2 a week get through.

For email: http://spamassassin.apache.org

If you use cpanel, a new recent option is spamassassin can now be used to scan outgoing messages as well as incoming messages.
I recommend you too to download and use those programs mentioned above they are really helpful and usefull.
They will protect you from horrible scams. You can also get CCleaner -"CCleaner is the number-one tool for cleaning your Windows PC. It protects your privacy online and makes your computer faster and more secure. Easy to use and a small, fast download."

suegiplaye

My blog is constantly getting comments from spammers. Very annoying. I hate how it is very rare that I get a comment from an actual interested person. I wish all the spammers would o away and all of the interested readers could flock to my website.

I use a couple:

For wordpress: http://akismet.com/ to stop comment spam

For the forum: http://www.stopforumspam.com to stop spam posts. Maybe 1 - 2 a week get through.

For email: http://spamassassin.apache.org

If you use cpanel, a new recent option is spamassassin can now be used to scan outgoing messages as well as incoming messages.

Interesting post. Thanks for sharing. I have already sort of neglected my blog since I have been pretty busy with work, but once I get back to it, I might try to use and apply what you have all suggested here. Very helpful.

Jordan94

I've been seeing a lot of spam online recently. It's really getting annoying. I've been seeing all these random ads on Google and even Facebook. Has anyone else been seeing this as well?

artyarson

What are your thoughts on eliminating them? Because I'm pretty tired of them too. But maybe it's just a paid content, I'm not sure.

I am using akismet for my wordpress site to put off spam. However, I am not satisfied with the program. I still have to delete the spam messages.

I actually manually remove any spam message or content I see in my blog or site. The thing with auto spam removers, they don't work as well. Nothing beats a human who can assess whether a message is truly a spam or not. For me, when you don't adhere to my rules on my site, it's better to block you after a warning. I don't necessarily think I'm that strict but when it comes to people who always seem to break the rules, that's when I block them from my site.

I actually manually remove any spam message or content I see in my blog or site. The thing with auto spam removers, they don't work as well. Nothing beats a human who can assess whether a message is truly a spam or not. For me, when you don't adhere to my rules on my site, it's better to block you after a warning. I don't necessarily think I'm that strict but when it comes to people who always seem to break the rules, that's when I block them from my site.
That's also my case, even though I have installed plugins that are said to stop spam comments on my websites, I don't see it happening. Every time I log into my website, I have a compulsion to remove spam comments manually.

djinter

This discussion has some very useful resources for fighting off spam. I never tried Akismet, if its still around, I'll try it on my blog. I'll see if I can't cut out the manual labor of handling spammers on my blog somehow.