What do you use the cloud for?

sanders89

I am pretty new to all of this, and I have not used the cloud yet, I have only just heard about it. So I want to hear what you yourself use it for? Do you use it for everything you do on your computer, for your photographs? For your music and documents? I don't know what I would use it for, and I would love to hear from someone that uses the cloud currently. Thank you!

antha1

Pretty complex question my friend.

I use it for almost everything nowadays. And, chances are you are using it as well - but you have not termed it "cloud" yet. Below are 10 different ways I use cloud in my daily life..

1. My daily emails are through gmail / yahoo. The service is completely taken care by others, I don't have much control over servers, and I don't like to have any control other than securely using my email

2. I host my websites on the cloud. I use shared hosting services, and Amazon Web Services

3. I sometimes do hobby, simple programming on Code Anywhere. But it has a long way to go before becoming my "go to" choice for programming.

4. I use office applications on Google Docs. It makes it easier to share my work, and create documents as a team effort

5. I store all my backups (documents, photos, video clips) on Dropbox.com, Box.com, and Skydrive (a.k.a onedrive)

6. I use Zoho applications to store my customer records. It makes it easier to maintain records, and then some

7. I use asana.com, and trello.com for my project management needs

8. I do my business financial planning on cloud (mint.com)

9. I play online games - you can say they "run" on the cloud

10. Lastly, I use a number of applications out there without even thinking twice about whether it is in Cloud!
- bubbl.us for creating mind maps
- pixlr.com for simple edits of photos
- collate all my reading materials online through Feedly.com reader
- store passwords on cloud - lastpass.com

There are a host of others that I do not remember at the moment. But, you get the gist.

Quags

Administrator
Staff member
Interserver uses swift openstack for backups, including the backup tool in the my.interserver.net section of the control panel. Swift is object storage so just by adding a new server, the cloud storage expands and re-balances. Right now its distributed over 16 nodes

Code:
Disk usage: space used: 63 TB of 83 TB
Disk usage: space free: 19 TB of 83 TB
Disk usage: lowest: 54.25%, highest: 91.99%, avg: 76.1933881234%
Time to add another server it looks like.

sanders89

Pretty complex question my friend.

I use it for almost everything nowadays. And, chances are you are using it as well - but you have not termed it "cloud" yet. Below are 10 different ways I use cloud in my daily life..

1. My daily emails are through gmail / yahoo. The service is completely taken care by others, I don't have much control over servers, and I don't like to have any control other than securely using my email

2. I host my websites on the cloud. I use shared hosting services, and Amazon Web Services

3. I sometimes do hobby, simple programming on Code Anywhere. But it has a long way to go before becoming my "go to" choice for programming.

4. I use office applications on Google Docs. It makes it easier to share my work, and create documents as a team effort

5. I store all my backups (documents, photos, video clips) on Dropbox.com, Box.com, and Skydrive (a.k.a onedrive)

6. I use Zoho applications to store my customer records. It makes it easier to maintain records, and then some

7. I use asana.com, and trello.com for my project management needs

8. I do my business financial planning on cloud (mint.com)

9. I play online games - you can say they "run" on the cloud

10. Lastly, I use a number of applications out there without even thinking twice about whether it is in Cloud!
- bubbl.us for creating mind maps
- pixlr.com for simple edits of photos
- collate all my reading materials online through Feedly.com reader
- store passwords on cloud - lastpass.com

There are a host of others that I do not remember at the moment. But, you get the gist.
Wow!! Thank you so much for helping me out with that. That is a lot of info!! I will totally have to check it out, and start storing my stuff there. Thanks again, I really appreciate it!

InterWinter

Right now I'm using Google Drive to store all my documents and files - I need them with me most of the time so I also have the app installed on my phone. For music I use Google Play Music which lets you upload your music library onto the internet and then listen to it from anywhere. Gmail for emails and reminders. And that's it for my 'cloud' life!

alexishbob

antha1 makes a very good point in that almost everything you do these days involves the cloud, it really is a lot more prevalent than a lot of people realise. In saying this, what I actively use it for is mostly for my photographs - I have my Dropbox set up so that every time I take a photo with my phone, it automatically uploads. This has saved me on more than one occasion! I also occasionally use Google Drive to send files to people, it can definitely come in handy.

Foodie TR

Personally I use iCloud and DropBox to store my content online. I also use Google Drive rarely which is connected to my phone.
I think you can be safe on a reliable Cloud server. This is proven to be efficient and your data stays safe.

oldwriter

The biggest use I give the cloud is as a backup. As a general rule this is the most used since any normal user can benefit from this service, not only webmasters, so this is the one I find myself recommending more frequently to others.

In the field of web hosting as such, cloud VPS is undoubtedly the service that caught my attention since I began seeing it offered around. When compared with traditional VPS hosting having a single point of failure due to still relying on a single physical server, one realizes that it is worth paying the premium to stay in the cloud.

Real high availability is only possible via the cloud. Once you get used to it, you simply don't want to go back.

allswl

I use the cloud to store files and documents including videos that I am prepared to lose. I do not save important files in the cloud simply because I am just not totally convinced about the level of security with the cloud. I prefer to save my important suff on an external hard-drive.

hansenlaw

I freelance in the photography business. So mostly for email, photos, and documents that are otherwise hard to get from one place to another.

jurew2

I'm using the cloud storage to backup my important files (not the files with sensitive information) like for my studies just in case something happens to my computer or local machine where all my files are stored. I do this, because I learned my lesson when my old computer's hard drive "died" and I lost all my files that were on it. I retrieved it after going to the local computer shop, but it really isnt worth the strugle.

Dez97

I use it for everything, to backup my family photos, my music, documents for school and travel. Anything personal like poems and stuff like that, that I want to keep.

isnt the term "cloud" sort of an overused marketing term? it seems like every vendor has a slightly different definition.

Dez97

I don't think its really overdosed, I simply thing people have so many definitions of terms that marketers try to come to everyone's definition of the word cloud.

Profit5500

I have never used a cloud service before in my years of browsing the web. I only keep my files on my computer and keep AVG running the whole time. I still have Windows XP and I don't have the money to upgrade.

Profit5500

The biggest use I give the cloud is as a backup. As a general rule this is the most used since any normal user can benefit from this service, not only webmasters, so this is the one I find myself recommending more frequently to others.

In the field of web hosting as such, cloud VPS is undoubtedly the service that caught my attention since I began seeing it offered around. When compared with traditional VPS hosting having a single point of failure due to still relying on a single physical server, one realizes that it is worth paying the premium to stay in the cloud.

Real high availability is only possible via the cloud. Once you get used to it, you simply don't want to go back.
I do not use a cloud service at all for file backup. Instead I had just been using thumbdrives as my backup, which has worked fine as I had no issues yet with my hard drive. I may use a cloud service just to see how reliable it could be, but I am sticking to my thumbdrives.

phunkinc

Today, I don't personally use the Cloud as a file backup storage. However, I use cloud email like Gmail and Ymail. We use Google Cloud services at my company for work and I do really enjoy it, I've jut not gotten around to setting it up for home use.

Dez97

Today, I don't personally use the Cloud as a file backup storage. However, I use cloud email like Gmail and Ymail. We use Google Cloud services at my company for work and I do really enjoy it, I've jut not gotten around to setting it up for home use.
The google cloud services are really goo, and you can connect it to all of your devices so that no matter what or where ever you are you will still have all of your files, pics, and docs all in one place that you can access at any time.

I am pretty new to all of this, and I have not used the cloud yet, I have only just heard about it. So I want to hear what you yourself use it for? Do you use it for everything you do on your computer, for your photographs? For your music and documents? I don't know what I would use it for, and I would love to hear from someone that uses the cloud currently. Thank you!
I have only heard about the cloud of different systems too, but I have never used it before.
Although I have a little knowledge about it. You can use it basically for anything.
Your computer, photographs, music, documents and much more.

Chasedood85

I personally only use the cloud for homework and pictures. It is nice to know wherever I got I can access them and do not have to carry around a flash drive and keep up with it.

Rowe992

Well I have don't use the cloud to store my personal files or anything which I don't want public. The cloud can be hacked and all your files stolen so be careful with what you put there. The recent celebrity nude photo hacking scandal is just an example of how unsecure the cloud is if hackers want to hack your files.

CandraLovell

І thrоw lоts оf dосumеntаtіоn іn Drорbох - І hаvе а fоldеr thаt's саllеd "mаnuаls" whеrе І рut РDF mаnuаls fоr еvеrуthіng І buу. Rеfrіgеrаtоr quеstіоn? Рор оut thе рhоnе, ореn drорbох, ореn mаnuаl, vоіlа. Rоutеr quеstіоn? Ѕаmе рrосеss. ЕVЕRYТНІΝG І buу. Аnd thаt fоldеr іs stіll оnlу а hundrеd mеgаbуtеs оr sо. І kеер а wіdе аssоrtmеnt оf РDF О'Rеіllу bооks thеrе fоr rеfеrеnсе - Ѕеd Аnd Аwk, Тhе Реrl Сооkbооk, еtс. І usе thе drорbох "uрlоаd рісturеs frоm mу рhоnе" bесаusе іt's mоrе dеtеrmіnіstіс thаn thе Мас/іОЅ nаtіvе рhоtо strеаm.

І hаvе а fоldеr саllеd "соdе" whеrе І рut mу рrоgrаmmіng рrојесts, sо І саn wоrk оn thеm оn аnу sуstеm.

І hаvе а fоldеr саllеd "Wоrds" whеrе І рut thіngs І'm wrіtіng. Lоts оf аррs І usе іnvоlvе drорbох stоrаgе оf dаtа, аs wеll.

І usе ЅріdеrОаk fоr rесеірts аnd bіll dосumеntаtіоn, stоrаgе оf mу іmроrtаnt dосumеnts (а sсаn оf mу DL, mу ВС (lоng fоrm LОL), mу Ѕосіаl Ѕесurіtу саrd, еtс).

І usе ВТЅуnс fоr thіngs thаt І wаnt fаіrlу sесurе but nоt stоrеd іn thе сlоud, аnd fоr sсrірtеd thіngs lіkе mу tоrrеnt sеtuр - І drор а tоrrеnt fіlе іn а dіrесtоrу, аnd ВТЅуnс sуnсs іt tо mу Мас Рrо, whісh рrоmрtlу dоwnlоаds thе tоrrеnt аnd dіsроsеs оf іt іn рrореr fоldеrs.

І usе Сlоud рrіmаrіlу fоr thе dіssеmіnаtіоn оf sсrееn shоts. І сарturе thеm іn skіtсh, thеn dо thе "drаg mе" thіng tо drор 'еm іn СlоudАрр fоr shаrіng. І tеnd nоt tо usе thе Еvеrnоtе shаrіng wіthіn Ѕkіtсh bесаusе іt оftеn аsks реорlе tо lоg іn, аnd іt hаs thаt stuріd-lоng URL.

І'm sеttіng uр а ВТЅуnс fоldеr thаt wіll bе rерlісаtеd tо mу LіnuхСΝС mасhіnе, sо І саn dо dеsіgn оn thе Мас аnd thе gсоdе/stl fіlеs wіll shоw uр оn thе lіnuхсnс mасhіnе аutоmаgісаllу.

Аnd muсh, muсh mоrе... LОL

SuperiorCallz

I personally use it for keeping certain files safe from my stupidity of deleting them. I also use it a lot for school and transferring files from my home computer to school computers.

zalan.reilly

I am pretty new to all of this, and I have not used the cloud yet, I have only just heard about it. So I want to hear what you yourself use it for? Do you use it for everything you do on your computer, for your Nox Vidmate VLC photographs? For your music and documents? I don't know what I would use it for, and I would love to hear from someone that uses the cloud currently. Thank you!
I have my Dropbox set up so that every time I take a photo with my phone, it automatically uploads. This has saved me on more than one occasion!

Last edited:
Top 7 most common uses of cloud:-

-Infrastructure as a service (IaaS) and platform as a service (PaaS)
-Private cloud and hybrid cloud
-Test and development
-Big data analytics
-File storage
-Disaster recovery
-Backup

Hope this is helpful to you.