What do you use to backup your comuter

sanders89

I am going to buy a hard drive soon, and I am curious which one you use? Is it worth it to buy one so that I can back up all of my own things, of should I just use the cloud? Who uses the cloud? Any information will help me to decide. Thank you!

Dinesh

I have mine backed up on Google drive. Although I sometimes back large files and my photos on DVDs and store them where they are least likely to break.

I have been using Crash Plan for awhile you can install this on two different computers and use it to backup to each other for free. You can also backup to the cloud for a flat fee for any size backup. I have also used the cloud storage called Copy to store files. If you sign up with my referral link you can get 20GB for free for life.

Copy referral link for 20GB free for life.- https://copy.com?r=sfltBg

sanders89

I have been using Crash Plan for awhile you can install this on two different computers and use it to backup to each other for free. You can also backup to the cloud for a flat fee for any size backup. I have also used the cloud storage called Copy to store files. If you sign up with my referral link you can get 20GB for free for life.

Copy referral link for 20GB free for life.- https://copy.com?r=sfltBg
Cool, I have never heard of crash plan, I will have to look into it. Thank you for replying, I really appreciate the input! Awesome, maybe I will use the referral link of yours. Thanks.

InterWinter

I use CloneZilla (http://clonezilla.org/) to back up my files onto my Western Digital external hard drive. It supports an incredible amount of file types and operating systems. It's also open source so you know exactly what it's doing!

Intensity

External HDD or USB. Why put all of your personal information in the hands of the big corporations? LOL I love when people do this kind of stuff. If you prefer your privacy you may want to keep your back ups on your own personal devices/HDDs

jfab

I always have an external hard drive for all my files. I learned my lesson before and it was tough. I also do some cloud backups.

alexishbob

I tend to back up almost everything I do on to an external hard drive. Even if it's not important, this just gives me huge peace of mind. Other than that if a file is really important I will also put it on a USB pen, and I also backup all my photos automatically to Dropbox. I have learned the hard way to backup everything where possible!

Foodie TR

I use a LaCie hard-drive with thunderbolt. Since I find it stunning with 3TB of space, I feel that it is perfect for my needs. And since I own a mac, I backup the contents using Time Machine which is a flawless backup of my files, as well as the intricate informations.

oldwriter

I have registered for an account with backupsy.com

It is advertised as VPS backup but it may be used for some other backup purposes, if you backup your VPS with them, it is almost sure many gigabytes are going to remain available, so why not put them to good use? The space is quite generous for the price.

Right now they have a coupon offering a "40% discount for life". The 250GB plan priced at $10 lowers to $ 6 after applying the code "40percent".

If you feel comfortable with an option run by yourself, this is a good choice. I use it because it is quite stable. Transfer speed is great too.

hansenlaw

I am going to buy a hard drive soon, and I am curious which one you use? Is it worth it to buy one so that I can back up all of my own things, of should I just use the cloud? Who uses the cloud? Any information will help me to decide. Thank you!
I have an external harddrive that's literally just around for backup. Every 2 hours or so I back up new files onto it.

Dez97

I just use the cloud to back up my things. I think its safer that way, and I think its much pretty to keep a track of the things you need and don't need. As well as if you need anything 10-20 years from now you can simply log in and get it in a matter of seconds. i think the cloud is you're best idea and I really hope you try it.

I just use simple Windows backup and it works pretty good for me.

jurew2

I think you should buy a hard drive just in case, if you don't have internet connection for some time or if you don't have a fast internet connection than the storing to a cloud will be a pain in the a. And accesing the files is also a bit faster using the hard drive. Ofcourse you should keep some of your files in the cloud storage, because you never know when your hard drive will "die".

Rohan99

I use my cloud storage as well as an external hard drive. I also use my email inbox to store important files such as my school assignments and projects. I also have a bootable USB flash drive just in case my computer runs into problems and needs to be reformatted. I have a vps with 10gb storage space but I don't use it for backing up my PC data because I don't know when and if it can be hacked and I would lose all my data.

Dez97

I'm a huge fan of the cloud so I just backup all my things on cloud because I don't know when things can go completely wrong. Also I use dropbox sometimes as its just like the cloud and its great for storage too.

a wise-guy once said you can never be too rich, too thin, or have too many backups.

external drives are fine for backup, but remember they are subject to some of the same issues a regular computer faces, fire, flood, theft, vengeful ex-girlfriend, etc

for interserver stuff, you cant beat adrive.com - they offer both webdav and ftp access. i move gzipped tar files and mysqldumps over nightly.

iDrive supposedly has a linux interface as well, but i have not tried it. iDrive does have something like 300 gigs for $40 a year - not a bad price.

and google-drive now has 1 terabyte for something like $10 a month. google-drive has a linux interface, but you have to use some third party the last time i checked.

adrive, idrive, and google-drive all have the downloadable windows interface and the android app.

Profit5500

I never use a cloud for my storage because I have a 140GB hard drive from Western Digital. I mean I do not know what computer you have sanders89, but you can get pretty decent hard drives from newegg. I also recommend looking on tigerdirect for hard drives.

ShaneVP

If I need to backup anything on my computers I always use Google Drive, sometimes a USB stick if it's just something I need to also move onto another computer quickly. Google Drive is always quick and easy to use, and I feel I can trust it because Google is a very large company which is very well known.

prey

I fully secure my computer by cloud storage. Some viruses have attacked my PC and server before and managed to wipe out the database ( for the 2nd time, actually, but I didn't even bother to opt out for an extra plan of security as I thought it wouldn't happen again :( ). Luckily, they can't also break into Google's servers. :)

themonk3y

I never had the need to back up large amounts of data. Just a few pictures and a few small files, Google drive helps me keep them backed up. Most of the data on my PC does not requires back up as 90% is filled with movies.

Dez97

I normally use the cloud storage, or I use the box, or Dropbox. I use Google drive sometimes as well as its fast downloading, and it keeps everything for a majority of time, and I can access them from anywhere.

licklozay

I usually back up all of my information on a hard drive. I have two different hard drives which I have the same information on just in case one breaks down or something happens. These hard drives stored separately in a covered in my room and so I really move them. For some of my most important documents which are find very hard to replace I usually put them under Google drive. I never used to be this cautious about having a backup until I lost a lot of my files and my information. Once this happened to me I learned the hard way that information once lost can never be recaptured. So it's easier to have a good backup than none at all.

Profit5500

I fully secure my computer by cloud storage. Some viruses have attacked my PC and server before and managed to wipe out the database ( for the 2nd time, actually, but I didn't even bother to opt out for an extra plan of security as I thought it wouldn't happen again :( ). Luckily, they can't also break into Google's servers. :)
Yeah the best thing to do is just be secure even if it happened once. It is better to be safe then sorry, which I have a very reliable antivirus software that send immediate threats to the virus vault. I have a working hard drive so cloud service for me is not required.

For stuff that I don't care about security wise I just stick it on an external hard drive.
For non security stuff I care more about I'll do External Hard drive, and Cloud (and sometimes multiple external hard drives for backup if it is really important)

And for security stuff I keep it on an offline encrypted hard drive and occasionally use multiple depending on how important the file is.