What do you use to backup your comuter

TDev

With backups you can never be too safe, so I always aim for multiple points of failure (at least three): one local backup on an external hard drive, and two more backups on cloud services (Dropbox and Google Drive).

Fortunately, I've never lost a backup, but it's always better to be safe than sorry.

Holunderminze

With backups you can never be too safe, so I always aim for multiple points of failure (at least three): one local backup on an external hard drive, and two more backups on cloud services (Dropbox and Google Drive).

Fortunately, I've never lost a backup, but it's always better to be safe than sorry.
Yes of course Dropbox. Why didn't I think to that. That's a great way to keep tour files on an external source.

edthebig

I dont... which is really stupid and has made lose tons of data, I always fail to learn from my stupid stupid mistakes and keep running it without backup and every time something really bad happens, I wish I had it backed up, but silly me never does.

CandraLovell

Except that the native Windows Backup doesn't even start to work when you've managed to move your profile like I have. And their "community" support is filled with such stupid f—ks that think they even have a clue as to what is happening, when they don't, just because they are MVPs doesn't make them instantly right, nor do they even have a clue as to who badly they can screw up a system ("do this, it won't screw up your system", yeah right, says the guy who had to wipe/reinstall from that little fiasco) and BECAUSE they're MVPs, they get to automatically mark their answers as correct.

Rowe992

I use my external hard drive and I also use usb flash drives. I don't store my files online because I know they can be hacked. I still make use of dvds and cds to store my important files and software such as my operating system and recovery disk. I will use my email inbox to store my school work and assignments because you can always access them online from wherever.

SuperiorCallz

I never really backup my PC on a physical hard drive, as I just store my most important files onto the cloud. It's a lot easier and faster, in my opinion.

camsdad

My external drive just burned out the other day and that's what I was using. I'm running windows 8 and I guess windows has had auto back up for awhile now. The other day I successfully rolled back windows to a point last week, even though I never officially told windows to back up my system.

NathanG

I dont... which is really stupid and has made lose tons of data, I always fail to learn from my stupid stupid mistakes and keep running it without backup and every time something really bad happens, I wish I had it backed up, but silly me never does.
Neither do I. I probably should soon, but I have never backed up my computer before. :whistle: I don't really know why, I've just never gotten around to it. Maybe I'll realize the importance if I lose some of my important files. Haha :)

Kamarsun1

I am going to buy a hard drive soon, and I am curious which one you use? Is it worth it to buy one so that I can back up all of my own things, of should I just use the cloud? Who uses the cloud? Any information will help me to decide. Thank you!
I use several 500Gb hard drives. I had a 2TB hard drive until it dropped and I lost all the data. Several 500 GB hard drives are plenty and in the case of any accidents you won't have all your chips in one basket.

How to backup your computer? Follow the steps.
1. Find an appropriate storage device.
2. Plug the device into your computer.
3. Configure Advanced Settings.

4. Select a backup drive.
5. Click “Turn on”.

Aree Wongwanlee

I back up to a number of cloud services. Usually I back up to Dropbox. My Wordpress sites are set to automatically backup to Dropbox. At one time, I was using Google Drive to backup my hard drive. Now I am using Imgur. This is only for images. The main things which I need to back up are images because they are irreplaceable.

TayneC8

I have found myself slowly moving away from offline backup services to more cloud based storage. I still like to keep a backup on an external hard drive just in case I lost anything that was stored in the cloud, but the cloud now is much more efficient. On services like Dropbox I am able to access my data from any computer, and the free price tag you can't complain using the service. I do like to backup my stuff due to past experiences with losing previous quantities of data that unfortunately I will never get back.

shamanas

I use a 2 Terrabyde external HDD and I backup the external HDD every once in a while (in another one which is exactly the same).

You can never be too safe ;)

hop0n

I'm using cloud services such as Google Drive and the Box. There are so many to choose from.
In addition I have two external hard drive disks.

appleannie

I think this is an excellent way to back up your computer. Although, you cannot reboot your computer with it. It is great that you can plug it into any computer and retrieve information from it.

I am quite paranoic about backups and I use both an external hard drive and a could solution. I don't really have to backup huge datas (around 100MB) so I'm kind of OK with my really low quality upload speed connection.

I just use the MyPC Backup that has been installed immediately here on my laptop computer right after I bought it. It works well so far.

Sarleons

If you have sensitive and private data then buying a hard drive would be a good idea, moreover it is advisable to buy some blank DVD and make another copy of the backup image on them in case the hard drive gets corrupted which is likely possible and the standard Windows backup utility seem a good solution for such a purpose if your OS is MS Windows.

On the other hand Cloud is suitable for generic backup files such as music or videos files because it is not that secure.

I have never back up my computer on cloud. I use prepaid internet and it is costly for me to upload or download by data on cloud. I use a hard disk to back up my computer. I have 1 TB hard drive.

djinter

I am going to buy a hard drive soon, and I am curious which one you use? Is it worth it to buy one so that I can back up all of my own things, of should I just use the cloud? Who uses the cloud? Any information will help me to decide. Thank you!
I researched this about a year ago. HGST is the HD you should go for! Why? because HGST has the lowest failure rate of all the different hard drives out there. Its one thing backing up stuff on a hard disk, totally another losing all of that content. Check this out https://www.backblaze.com/blog/hard-drive-reliability-stats-for-q2-2015/

emuzeskylow

External HDD can be damaged. I have seen one mistakenly broken, others got currupted with virus. Crazy unexpected things happens to external HDD. I'll just suggest using clouds. Safer that way.