What does inodes mean?

Discussion in 'General' started by alexander70, Jun 10, 2017.

1. alexander70

alexander70 New Member

Hello! What does inodes mean? What happens when the number of inodes reaches the limit?

Respectfully, Alexandr

2. Quags

Quags Administrator Staff Member

A inode is a file system object. That can be a file or a directory. The size does not matter in this case, as a 1mb or 1gb file use one inode.

There is a hard limit and a soft limit. The soft limit is what is advertised, when reached you will get a notification or see it in cpanel. There is some extra room however. If the hard limit is reached then no new files can be created.

Accounts at 150,000 inodes on shared hosting (cpanel shared hosting excluding windows asp or wordpress) do not automatically back up.

3. alexander70

alexander70 New Member

Thanks for your reply. I noticed that the number of inodes is growing much faster than the number of files and folders. Files and folders at me now are less than 100 thousand, and inodes already 315 thousand.

4. alexander70

alexander70 New Member

Perhaps there is an error in your software and not only my files are counted when counting inodes?

5. Quags

I suspect it may be .cagefs/tmp not clearing. Open a support ticket in my.interserver.net and we will check.

6. alexander70

alexander70 New Member

7. alexander70

alexander70 New Member

This morning there were 315,000 inodes, and now I looked, already 330 thousand. I tried to open a ticket in support, it did not work: "Invalid CSRF Response"

8. alexander70

alexander70 New Member

My e-mail address on the forum is the same as on the hosting, please see what the problem is.

9. alexander70

alexander70 New Member

My problem was solved, thanks! The support service has deleted unnecessary session files. Will I be able to delete these files myself in the future, or should I contact support again?

Last edited: Jun 20, 2017
  10. alexander70

alexander70 New Member

Is it possible to configure automatic deletion of php session files on the server so that inodes do not accumulate?

11. Quags

Yes in cron using tmpwatch like

@daily tmpwatch -c 24 /path/to/tmpfolder

12. alexander70

alexander70 New Member

Hello! This is the command line, yes? Still need to set the time of the task, for example at 00-00 every day, yes?

The command should not have a -v option?

Thanks

13. Quags

This can be added in cron in cpanel

/path/to/tmpfolder should be your tmp folder like

/home/username/.cagefs/tmp/

add -v for more output (verbose)

I recommend opening a ticket to have this done.

14. alexander70

alexander70 New Member

Thank you!