What's the difference between a kvm vps and a cloud vps?

hg088

I'm having trouble finding a difference between kvm and cloud vps. I know that a kvm vps is just a virtual machine and openvz is kind of like an instance of a physical machine, but i don't know understand what is a cloud vps. Is it just a network of kvm vps?

Quags

Administrator
Staff member
The cloud VPS type is not currently sold any more, but old vps's are running.

This was KVM vps's using two hypervisors and two sans. Either hypervisor or san could fail and the system would run still. The cost fir 4x the amount of a normal KVM VPS. It is not being offered now because demand was too low.

hg088

The cloud VPS type is not currently sold any more, but old vps's are running.

This was KVM vps's using two hypervisors and two sans. Either hypervisor or san could fail and the system would run still. The cost fir 4x the amount of a normal KVM VPS. It is not being offered now because demand was too low.
I see, it was like a vps with redundancy.

Quags

Administrator
Staff member
Yes it had failover redundancy where more hardware could fail than on a standard set up.

But at the moment for demand it was not wanted. I will review the set up at some point to see if it can be made using cloudstorage easier in the future - like with swift, ceph or another set up reducing the cost.