When/why to go VPS?

Is a special Options controller like CPanel necessary on a small VPS?

• Yes

Votes: 1 50.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No, the inbuilt one is fine

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes, unless you are a Nerd

Votes: 1 50.0%

• Total voters

himagain2

Greetings!
My big question is when or why to go from Hosted to VPS.

I am here on InterServer with a Shared Host account which goes better than any I've had in years!
However, I'm curious as to the "value" (it's so....cheap!) for me in a VPS.
I have unlimited Doms addon already.
A VPS shouldn't be any faster, should it?
Is it REALLY any safer? (I already have a dedicated IP on my Hosted a/cct.)

Without going to the expense of a CPanel addon, what can the built-in "Easy Panel" do?
I'm not going into selling hosting and only need some basics like a forum, email control (Chipmunk?), WPress.

Quags

Administrator
Staff member
When your traffic increases a vps becomes a better choice. But if shared hosting works for you I recommended it, because for lower traffic sites the value is better on shared hosting than a vps, as

you get cpanel
softaculous
backups* (10gb+ sites do not get backups)
and the security of cloudlinux

himagain2

When your traffic increases a vps becomes a better choice. But if shared hosting works for you I recommended it, because for lower traffic sites the value is better on shared hosting than a vps, as

you get cpanel
softaculous
backups* (10gb+ sites do not get backups)
and the security of cloudlinux
Thanks Quags!
Yes. It would probably still be better for me to even split accounts fully and stay with Shared until my "Lottery Win" even for ease of management at my stage.... :)

EDIT: Just realised: with your great deal for me that I have now - probably no benefit in setting up a second Account, is there? It *IS* all about not getting choked - and as you reminded me - even my Shared Acct is "in the cloud", so shouldn't break easy, right?

Last edited:

Foodie TR

I personally feel that with increased traffic rate, VPS works better. With a less traffic, I don't think it matters whether you go for VPS or not.