Why is the kernel so old?

Jon W

I'm running an OpenVZ instance with Ubuntu LTS 14.04.
However, uname -a says the kernel is version 2.6, which is very, very, old.
While OpenVZ is likely dependent on containerization, rather than "raw" virtualization, why would the kernel on the host machine be so old?

Joe Huss

Administrator
Staff member
OpenVZ only runs on 2.6 . They have made progress porting some of the parts of OpenVZ into the 3.x kernel series (much of the work on LXC is from OpenVZ as well as checkpoint/restoring has made it into 3.x series), however there are still many features that aren't ported yet. I believe this is something being actively worked on and I hope 3.x will be supported soon.

At the moment LXC for 3.x is the closest thing to OpenVZ. I haven't really seen much interest in LXC yet but if there is we could add it assuming there are no current big security issues with using it (at one point I believe you could break out of the instance and get to the host system and/or other client instances, although I imagine that was fixed by the time or soon after I heard it)

Quags

Administrator
Staff member
Openvz doesn't support RHEL7 yet, which uses 3.10.0-123

RHEL6 has a 7 year life cycle, so security updates are going into 2.6.32.

KVM would get you the base kernel ubuntu 14 uses 3.13

Jon W

I see -- OpenVZ + RHEL6 is the cause. Thanks for teaching me!
LXC is of course super hot in the Docker / OpenStack community, but I don't have any particular need for that.
I just need a root prompt in the cloud for as few dollars as possible, so OpenVZ is fine by me :)