Why the fear of "The Cloud"?

soconfused

With the recent leaks and hacks in the cyber world I do understand why people would be reluctant to save important things online. For a lot of people even online banking is a huge step and makes them vulnerable to threats. I personally wouldn't use "The Cloud" as my main source of backing up everything just because I'd like to keep myself a bit safe when it comes to certain things.

Kamarsun1

I still don't understand when people tell me that they are afraid of storing all of their info in cyberspace. I find it much safer than having it on a hard drive. I've lost more info that way than anything I've ever saved to "The Cloud". As far as safety, if you do anything online, like online banking, for instance, you save your passwords and personal info on a website already. What's the difference?
I use iCloud but not as a primary source, and I don't store all my important data on the cloud, but I agree people give up all kinds of personal information online anyway.

hollysheats

I still don't understand when people tell me that they are afraid of storing all of their info in cyberspace. I find it much safer than having it on a hard drive. I've lost more info that way than anything I've ever saved to "The Cloud". As far as safety, if you do anything online, like online banking, for instance, you save your passwords and personal info on a website already. What's the difference?
There is no difference in my opinion. The fear is that people are fearing the loss of privacy and getting hacked and scammed. I think that if people would just do some research, they wouldn't be scared of it.

appleannie

I think more people are just afraid of the cloud being hacked. I do not think many people are worried about the information getting lost. I am more worried about the site being hacked.

chasedood

I have actually been wondering the same thing. I have heard of a lot of people that steer away from cloud hosting. I have never used it, but I may in the future. Seems like everyone is hesitant about using it.

grabbity

The cloud offers persistent access to remotely stored data, and this is achieved through a constant connection to the internet. Consequently, there are several things that can go wrong with this technology. To begin, private information is given to someone you don't know and can't fully trust. This is an understandable emotion because this circumstance is true. Data risks getting mismanaged and misused because it is in possession of someone else.

There is fear of irretrievable data due to possible restrictions imposed by the cloud service provider. The cloud-provider may decide to upgrade their Terms of Service without notifying their user-base, leading to caveats that restrict access to their service. Granted this might not be the only place information is stored, as savvy users most likely backed up their data locally. And even then it's still a risk to data-integrity by having it in a location they don't control.

Another reason is as user soconfused mentioned, with the frequent cyber attacks on tech titans and financial institutions, there's paranoia surrounding the security of one's data. It's more probable for your data to be stolen online than your house being robbed of it. I too share in these concerns, as I want to experience the convenience cloud storage offers but I don't want to suffer the potential loss of my private information.

Last edited:

GeeCee

I have a club back up. It's called an external one terabyte hard drive. That's as far as my information needs to go outside of my computer. There is no way I will ever use the cloud, not even for photos. I don't trust outside entities with my information, and I certainly don't trust the company that can lose my information with a simple data wipe.

hop0n

Maybe because of the recent events of leaked images and personal information of various people, mostly celebrities. I don't trust cloud either but I use it since it comes quite handy storing stuff fast and easy.

cthoughtz

Ok, think about it like this. If you was a hacker and you had a choose. Would you prefer to hack the cloud where you have access to information from alot of different people or one person. You get far more info from the cloud and with the cloud you never really know who has your information nor do you know if the company is going to stay afloat. I would personally prefer to have my own information saved on a hard disk. Lets give it some time, if the cloud is a safe as you are believing it is then it should stand the test of time.

Some of the common fears related to cloud storage are:
Loss of data: What if the company that does cloud storage for you shuts down. For instance, you have stored on dropbox, when the dropbox discontinues its service you will lose your data.
Security: what if data is accessed by other because of some technical issues.

zalan.reilly

I still don't understand when people tell me that they are afraid of storing all of their info in cyberspace. I find it much safer than having it on a hard drive. I've lost more info that way than anything I've ever saved to "reverse image search email checker port checker Cloud". As far as safety, if you do anything online, like online banking, for instance, you save your passwords and personal info on a website already. What's the difference?
you're leaving all your data to the internet. There could be hackers, data wipes, and so many unexpected things.

Last edited:
Below mentioned are some of the reasons to fear cloud:-
-Internet Connection
-Costs
-Hard Drives
-Support
-Privacy

Hope this helps you.

francisbaud

The obvious benefit of uploading data to the cloud is that it's accessible from anywhere at any time. However with all the hacking happening with the banks and other institutions I'm not sure I'd trust this kind of service.