Wordpress and "You do not have sufficient permissions to access this page"

Quags

Administrator
Staff member
This one was quite annoying. An admin login was getting:
You do not have sufficient permissions to access this page

When trying to login to a page.

Here is the run down of possible fixes (there are many).

1) You lost your admin user permissions. Check in the mysql database for the admin user in wp_users. Now match that admin id in wp_usermeta

make sure wp_user_level is set to 10.

make sure wp_capabilities are a:1:{s:13:"administrator";b:1;}

Not it? 2)
Could be plugins. Temporarily disable plugins. Back up the current value and set

UPDATE wp_options SET option_value = 'a:0:{}' WHERE option_name = 'active_plugins';

Not it? 3) Force a db update

db_version in the wp_options, set this to a lower value. Log back into the wordpress admin section and rerun the database update.

#3 fixed it for me, I really think it should have been easier.

Thanks for the advice. I had this happen to me and it was because I lost my admin user privaledges. However, back then I didn't know about that so I ended up just losing the website because it was relatively new and I didn't see an effective way of getting it back.

AlexF15

Thanks for the information. I had this happen to me and I had no idea what to do after my admin was revoked. Thanks dude.

Quags

Administrator
Staff member
one more today

Code:
mysql> update hminsurance_usermeta set meta_key='hminsurance_capabilities' where meta_key='hmInsurance_capabilities' and user_id=1
  -> ;
Query OK, 1 row affected (0.00 sec)
Rows matched: 1  Changed: 1  Warnings: 0

mysql> update hminsurance_usermeta set meta_key='hminsurance_user_level' where meta_key='hmInsurance_user_level' and user_id=1
  -> ;
Query OK, 1 row affected (0.00 sec)
Rows matched: 1  Changed: 1  Warnings: 0
but in wp-config.php was $table_prefix = 'hminsurance_';

the capital I caused an issue

Thank you for this information. I had this happened to me quite a few times with my favourite site. I thought it was just a server problem, maybe there were too many clients at that time. I'm sure going to try these tips you've given us maybe they can remedy my problem.

kumkum

Hi,
I know this is old post but i want to share something which work for me.
You can resolve "You do not have sufficient permissions to access this page" wordpress error easily with few steps:

1. Fixing the Sufficient Permission Error
2. Edit the Prefixes using phpMyAdmin

• Launch phpMyAdmin from the Database section
  • Select WordPress MySQL database. Or select the website mentioned in wp-config file with field “’DB_NAME’,’wpdb’”. This will open up all the tables in your database
  • The tables should be prefixed with wp_
  • From the list of tables, click on “wp_usermeta”
  • Find the “meta_key” column and change the prefixes from “wp_” to match those configured in your wp-config file:
  • wp_capabilities
  • wp_user_level
  • wp_user-settings
  • wp_user-settings-time
  • wp_dashboard_quick_press_last_post_id

database2.png

• If you’ve got multiple users, you need to change the same for each user
3. Using MySQL commands

For the detailed information you can also check this link: https://hoststud.com/resources/reso...ficient-permissions-to-access-this-page”.660/