All About Server Profile in WHM
By Jithin on July 4th, 2019
Server profile is a feature in cPanel &WHM version 76, this interface allows you to select a server’s profile, based on the service that you want the server to provide. Server profiles are a collection of roles and each of these roles allows or disallow certain services. This allows you to enable or disable specific services to reduce the resource usage on a server.
The following profiles are available for the server.
1) Standard Node
2) Database Node
3) DNS Node
4) Mail Node
The Standard Node profile provides all services and access to every cPanel feature. This is the default system profile. All roles are enabled for this profile. If it is enabled, the server provides every service and access to all cPanel features.
Database Node (Experimental)
The database profile only provides services and cPanel features that allow the system to manage databases. This profile configures the server to handle database services such as MySQL or MariaDB. If it is enabled the server provides only services and cPanel features that allow the system to serve databases. The enabled roles for this profile are MySQL/MariaDB, Send Mail, Local Mail and the disabled roles are Calendars and Contacts, DNS, File Storage, FTP, Receive Mail, Spam Filter, Web Disk, Webmail, Web Server. The optional roles are PostgreSQL.
DNS Node (Experimental)
The DNS Node profile provides only services and cPanel features that allow the system to serve Domain Name System zones. This profile configures the server to handle Domain Name System services. If it enabled, the server that provides only services and cPanel features that allow the system to serve mail. The enabled roles for this profile are DNS, Local Mail, Send Mail and the disabled roles for this profile are Calendars and Contacts, File Storage, FTP, PostgreSQL, Receive Mail, Spam Filter, Web Disk, Webmail, Web Server. The optional roles are MySQL/MariaDB.
Mail Node (Experimental)
The Mail Node profile provides only services and cPanel features that allow the system to serve mail. This profile configures the server to handle mail services. If it is enabled the server that provides only services and cPanel features that allow the system to serve mail. The enabling role for this profile is Calendars and Contacts, Local Mail, Receive Mail, Send Mail, Webmail and the disabled roles are File Storage, FTP, MySQL/MariaDB, PostgreSQL, Web Disk, Web Server. The optional roles are DNS, Spam Filter.
We recommend that you do not use experimental features on a production server, the profile with an experimental label.
We cannot change the server’s profile if at least one account exists on the server. So before you select a server profile, take a backup of all user accounts and transfer all the accounts back to the server after changing server profile.
The roles provide specific server functionality. They are a collection of one or more services.
Managing Server Profile in WHM
Follow the steps below to configure Server Profile in WHM
1) Login to the WHM.
2) Click on the option “Server Profile”. The server profile interface will appear. We can select the desired profile from the list of available options. The star icon shows this is the profile currently selected for our server.
3) If we want our server to be a mail only server, let us select the mail node option here. If we click the information icon, the system displays the roles affected by this profile. After selecting the desired profile, click the button “Continue”.
4) The system directs us to the “Select Options” interface since this profile have optional roles available, this interface allows us to select any optional roles for profiles. If we select a profile without having any optional role, the interface will skip this step. After selecting the optional role, click the button “Continue”.
5) The system directs into the review changes interface, to review all changes. Let’s click “Set Profile” to proceed.
6) Then the system directs us to the activating profile interface. The system configures the server with mail node profile. After the process completes, the interface will show the activation successful message and the profile changed to Mail Node.
If you need any further help, please do reach our support department.