5 Best WordPress HTTPS Plugins for a Secure site on the Internet
By Adarsh Sojitra on November 9th, 2021
HTTPS means that the connection is secure between the user’s browser and server. If your WordPress website has HTTPS URL, then your site has better security which can be trusted by customers. If the site contains an HTTPS URL, that means it has an SSL (Secure socket layer) certificate. As SSL encrypts the protocol, it is known as HTTP over SSL.
However, the signal of HTTPS defines the authentication of the accessed website and the protection of privacy. Moreover, Google also uses the SSL certificate as a ranking factor to enhance your search ranking. Most of the browsers alert the users when the sites have invalid security certificates. And if you want to make your site secure against eavesdroppers, then you can use the WordPress HTTPS plugins.
A secure Socket Layer (SSL) certificate is a digital certificate for the security of sites. Well, SSL is used to build an encrypted connection between a browser and a server. The digital certificate protects sensitive data such as credit card information and passwords used in specific websites. It also builds reliable connections with your visitors, showing them you value their privacy. There are only a few steps to get the free SSL certificate of websites.
An SSL certificate is a digital certificate that provides authentication for a website and enables an encrypted connection. Moreover, these certificates communicate to the client that the web service host demonstrated ownership of the domain to the certificate authority at the time of certificate issuance. Also, it is commonly used on eCommerce sites and pages. That requires users to submit personal or credit card information. There are multiple plugins for HTTP. You can easily find various HTTP plugins available in the WordPress Plugin Directory for free. You can install the plugin directly from the directory. It will help you to get the SSL certificate and redirect your site from HTTP to HTTPS.
List of the Best WordPress HTTPS Plugins
Here, we have mentioned the best WordPress HTTPS plugins to clean up the process and make it efficient.
- WP force SSL
- SSL insecure content fixer
- CM HTTPS Pro
- Easy HTTPS Redirection
- JSM’s Force SSL/HTTPS
1. WP Force SSL Plugin
WP Force SSL plugin will redirect HTTP traffic to HTTPS without any coding. For activating the plugin, you need to have an SSL certificate. Users are required to add HTTPS to WordPress URL and site address parameters in settings. The plugin is quick, easy and effective.
It does the process via 301 permanent redirect, which is best for SEO. All the pages/subpages will also be redirected to SSL. However, if you have tried several different codes in .htaccess to redirect and it didn’t work, then this plugin will be the best choice. Also, WP force SSL requires WordPress 3.9 and higher versions. So, let’s discuss the basic features of the plugin in brief,
- The plugin helps you redirect insecure HTTP traffic to secure HTTPS.
- You will need to activate the SSL certificate. Also, it helps you to get an SSL certificate. And the entire site will move to HTTPS using your SSL certificate.
- The plugin works with any SSL certificate, free or paid.
- WP Force SSL comes with an SSL certificate testing tool. You can test the SSL certificate. The plugin will automatically check if the certificate is valid and properly installed.
- The plugin supports HTTP Strict Transport Security (HSTS). HSTS is a web security policy mechanism that helps to protect your site against protocol downgrade attacks and cookie hijacking.
- Moreover, HSTS allows web servers to declare that web browsers should interact with it using only HTTPS connections. HSTS adds additional security to your site.
WP Force SSL is completely free to use plugins. You can easily get the SSL certificate and redirect your site from HTTP to HTTPS.
2. SSL Insecure Content fixer Plugin
SSL insecure content fixer plugin will solve insecure content warnings without any effort. It also cleans up the website’s HTTPS insecure content. When you install the plugin, it automatically fixes the settings on your website using a simple fix level. You can also select more comprehensive levels which is essential.
The level contains content fix level. Capture fix level, widget fix level and capture all fix levels. Moreover, the plugin will also recommend the method of detecting HTTPS which suits your website configurations. SSL insecure content fixer requires PHP 5.3 or higher version and WordPress 4.0 or Higher version. So, let’s discuss the basic features of the plugin in brief,
- The plugin cleans up your WordPress website’s HTTPS insecure content and mixed content warnings.
- Once the plugin is installed, its default settings will be activated. Also, it will automatically perform some basic fixes on your website using the Simple fix level.
- It also works with the multisite network. You can use to set default settings for all sites within a network.
- The plugin is also translation-ready. It can be translated into multiple languages.
Like WP Force SSL, SSL Insecure Content Fixer is also a free plugin. Moreover, it helps clean up the insecure WordPress content, unlike other HTTP plugins for free.
3. Easy HTTPS Redirection Plugin
Easy HTTPS redirection plugin is also one of the effective WordPress HTTPS plugins. The plugin automatically redirects your site to the HTTPS URL. You can easily make your site SSL compatible. But before using this plugin, you need to use the HTTPS URL for your web pages and have an SSL certificate.
However, if there are lots of static files which are embedded in your post using an HTTP URL, then it will show an SSL warning to users. The plugin is providing an option to force those static files using the HTTPS URL dynamically. If the files exist, then the plugin will update the existing .htaccess files.
But if the .htaccess files don’t exist, then the plugin will automatically store the setting in the database. Moreover, the latest version of this plugin contains WP fastest cache, which will clear the cache when plugin settings are changed. That prevents the mixed content warning from browsers. Easy HTTPS Redirection requires WordPress 3.5 or higher version. So, let’s discuss the basic features of the plugin in brief,
- The plugin provides the “HTTPS” URL of your web pages after you install an SSL certificate on your site.
- This plugin will help you automatically set up a redirection to the HTTPS version of an URL. It will redirect the users from non-HTTPS URLs to HTTPS URLs.
- You can force your entire domain to be auto-redirected to the HTTPS URL. OR you can selectively choose a few pages to be redirected.
- The plugin allows force-loading static files (images, js, CSS etc.) using an HTTPS URL.
The Easy HTTPS Redirection plugin is also completely free. You just have to install the plugin and get the HTTP URL after enabling the SSL.
4. JSM’s Force SSL/HTTPS Plugin
JSM’s Force SSL/HTTPS plugin will ensure that your web page URLs are redirected to HTTPS quickly. You don’t have to adjust any changes in plugin settings and WordPress configuration. You can simply activate or deactivate the plugin to enable/disable the filters and dynamic redirects. The requirement is your site must be configured with the SSL certificate.
JSM’s Force SSL/HTTPS requires PHP 5.5 or higher version and WordPress 3.8 or higher version. So, let’s discuss the basic features of the plugin in brief,
- The plugin will redirect the web page URLs to HTTP. Once the SSL certificate testing is done.
- You just have to simply activate or deactivate the plugin to enable/disable the filters and dynamic redirects.
- The plugin has default settings. So You don’t have to adjust any changes in plugin settings and WordPress configuration.
JSM’s Force SSL/HTTPS plugin is free to use WordPress HTTPS plugin. You can quickly redirect your site or web page URLs to HTTPS URLs.
5. CM HTTPS Pro Plugin
CM HTTPS Pro plugin is also one solution for installing SSL certificates and redirecting the site from HTTP to HTTPS. The plugin also consists of a scanner to find insecure content. It forces the whole domain to redirect to HTTPS or select a few pages from the site to redirect. You can also check the SSL status on your dashboard after activating the plugin. So that you know your connection is secure with the user’s browser.
Moreover, it contains URL mapping, testing tools and URL filters. However, the plugin will not provide you with an SSL certificate. For activating the plugin, you must have to install the SSL certificate. So, let’s discuss the basic features of the plugin in brief,
- You have to manually install the plugin; you first must download it from the Client Dashboard (Pro version) to your computer.
- The plugin also consists of a scanner to find insecure content. It forces the whole domain to redirect to HTTPS or select a few pages from the site to redirect.
- The plugin consists of URL mapping, testing tools and URL filter.
CM HTTPS Pro plugin doesn’t have a free version. So, you will not get this plugin in the WordPress Plugin directory. You will need to download from the official source and upload it on the WordPress dashboard to use this plugin. The plugin offers three premium versions – Essential HTTPS SSL, Advanced HTTPS SSL, and Ultimate security bundle with HTTPS SSL. The Essential HTTPS SSL costs $29 and comes with a license for a single site. Also, the Advanced version comes with three site licenses and costs $69. The Ultimate plan retails at $119 and provides a license for 10 sites.
The above-mentioned WordPress HTTPS plugins are the best choices if you are getting mixed content warnings or insecure error warnings. However, the plugins use different PHP and WordPress versions. So make sure you use updated versions to run the plugin. You can easily redirect your users from site non HTTPS URL to HTTPS URL. The plugin also helps you to get the SSL certificate of your site. The plugin is completely free to use. It will be available in the WordPress plugin directory. But if you want to use the CM HTTPS plugin, then you will need to purchase the premium version. You will have to install the plugin on the dashboard manually. We have mentioned the list of best WordPress HTTPS plugins with their features. We hope this article will help you to choose a suitable HTTPS plugin for your site.