How to quickly create AJAX search form in WordPress
By Adarsh Sojitra on September 14th, 2021
Ajax search is also a popular search plugin for WordPress. Ajax search lite comes with the latest and unique features. Also, it supports highly customizable searches with different filters. This plugin is also perfect for online stores, real estate websites, classified directories websites, and more. However, the lite version provides post-type searches like products, posts, pages. The plugin will only offer a vertical layout in the free version. However, the pro version offers multiple layouts -vertical, horizontal, isotopic, and polaroid layout.
You can use it to design your custom page form with these different filters. Moreover, this plugin is also compatible with the page builders like Elementor and WPBakery page builder. It also allows you to create multiple search bars. This plugin is excellent for web designers and developers to make an advanced search system for client websites. The plugin is compatible with WPML and Qtranslate.
The plugin has wide content support whether you have a small blog or a huge webshop. The adjustable keyword logic and two different built-in search engines allow you to configure the plugin to get the most accurate results for your specific needs. Additionally, it comes with the Google Analytics integration. Thus, you can easily track the records of the search box. The plugin has smart image analysis and caches the images for faster response time. Moreover, you can have export and import settings as well. Ajax search lite offers unique search result templates and gives high accuracy in search results. Furthermore, you don’t have to pay extra for any 3rd party fees as the plugin works within your server.
You can also create a customizable index with support for all content types. Also, it provides auto-complete and searches instructions. Ajax search plugin offers over 400 search options for customizing the search system. The plugin comes with features like checkboxes, selectors, date filters, and more – build a more convenient search experience. The Lite version provides five pre-built templates and 40+options on the backend. The Pro version comes with 60+ pre-defined plugin theme styles for search form design. The paid plan also consists of 100+ fully customizable themes. Pro version allows you to search by posts, Taxonomy terms, Users, BuddyPress Groups, and PeepSo content. So let’s discuss the basic features of this plugin in brief,
- The plugin supports commercial and multisite.
- It provides an advanced search system with a simple setup process and multiple layouts (Vertical (In Lite version), horizontal, isotopic, and polaroid)
- Ajax search plugin provides over 400 search options for customizing the search system.
- There are 60+ pre-defined plugin theme styles for search form design. The Lite version provides five built templates.
- It has wide content support whether you have a small blog or a huge webshop.
- Using this plugin, You can let your users filter the searches, for example, filter by custom post type and filter by product categories.
- You can also create a customizable index with support for all content types. Also, it provides auto-complete and searches instructions.
- The plugin offers unique search result templates and gives high accuracy in search results.
- The plugin comes with features like checkboxes, radio buttons, selectors, date filters, and more – build a more convenient search experience.
- The adjustable keyword logic and two different built-in search engines allow you to configure the plugin to get the most accurate results for your specific needs.
- The plugin works on your server, so it doesn’t charge any 3rd party fees.
- Moreover, it has google analytics integration. The plugin is also compatible with WPML and Qtranslate.
- You will have export and import settings.
- It does have smart image analysis and caches the images for faster response time.
- It has an adjustable search engine.
- The plugin provides powerful taxonomy and also custom field search filters.
Ajax Search plugin has one paid version – Ajax search Pro. The version costs $36 with various advanced features and layouts. Also, the version comes with a regular license and six-month support. If you want to extend support to 12 months, then you will need to pay an extra $11.43. However, if you want limited features, then you can go for the Lite version as well. The lite version is free, along with many features.
How To Install And Activate Ajax Search Lite Plugin
The installation process is very easy. Here, we have explained the step-by-step guide on how to install and activate Ajax Search Lite on your site. All the settings and installation can be done from the WordPress Plugin directory.
Step 1: First, you need to log in to the WordPress admin dashboard.
Step 2: Now, you will see the option “Plugins” on the left-hand side panel. Click on “Plugins,” then select “Add New.”
Step 3: You will see a search bar on the top right-hand side corner. Search “Ajax Search Lite”.
Step 4: Now, you need to click on “Install Now.”
Step 5: After installation, you need to activate Ajax Search Lite in order to use it on your site. Now, click on “Activate.”
Now, you have successfully installed and activated the plugin. You can now use it on your site in order to add a search box. Also, you will have various configuration options in the free version. You can also use this plugin with Max Mega Menu. It will be very easy to display a search bar directly within the menu using the “Replacement” functionality.
How to Use Ajax Search Lite Plugin
After activating the plugin, you just need to do a few settings within the WordPress dashboard. We have explained a step-by-step guide on how to use the Ajax Search lite plugin on your site below,
Step 1: First, you need to go to “Ajax Search Lite” and select “Ajax Search Lite”.
Step 2: In the “General Options,” you can search in custom post types.
The first thing that you’ll want to do is configure what content is eligible to be included in your search suggestions.
By default, it will search for the user’s keyword in your content’s:
But you can also have it search in:
- URL slug
- Categories and tags
- Custom fields (all custom fields)
Step 3: If you want to control the settings of the image, then click on “Image Options” or turn it off.
By default, the plugin will have a lot of information in the suggestion results. It consists of:
- Featured image
Step 4: After that, you can configure how the search box will look. You can replace the theme’s search box with your design; this way, the plugin’s search box design will match the existing website theme. In the layout section, you can change the theme color. You can also edit the search width box for different devices. You can even change the background colors and fonts.
Step 5: Now, make sure you have “Save Changes”
Step 6: In order to add the search box, the plugin gives you three options:
- Replace the theme search – The plugin will override your theme’s search functionality.
- Shortcode – You can place the shortcode wherever you want your search form to appear.
- PHP function – if you’re comfortable editing your theme’s code, you can use a child theme to add the search functionality directly to your theme’s template files.
To embed a search box, you can directly use the shortcodes. You just need to copy the shortcode. They have provided two shortcodes – one for pages or posts and another one for templates.
Step 7: You can paste the shortcode to any page or post to embed the search box.
The search box will be ready to use. This version is Lite, so It will only let you search by posts. You can customize any categories in the settings the way you desire on your site.
Ajax Search plugin is the most popular live search plugin for WordPress sites. The plugin comes with many settings and configurations for the search box. You can let your users search by posts, product categories, and images as well. There are multiple options in image settings too. You can set the layouts and styles of description and search box. It also allows you to highlight the search keyword, as shown above. The interface is quite complex as it has various setting options. However, you have complete control over live searches on the site.
The plugin provides shortcodes to embed search boxes into the posts or pages. If you want to embed the search box in the templates, then you will have a PHP function (Shortcode). The lite version offers limited features. However, if you would like to unlock the advanced features, then you can also purchase the Pro version. We have mentioned the installation process above. Also, you can follow the step-by-step guide on how to use or embed the search box in the posts mentioned above.
We hope this article will help you in the installation process of this plugin. And you can easily add a search box in the post or page or templates using this plugin.