How to Install PHPSuhosin on a Linux VPS
By Jithin on August 17th, 2018
Suhosin (pronounced ‘su-ho-shin’) is an advanced protection system for PHP scripts and the PHP core itself. Suhosin is an open source PHP patch developed for user security and to protect servers against several security flaws and vulnerabilities. Suhosin also protects the server against security flaws in the PHP based applications including WordPress, Joomla, Drupal, etc….
You must have root access to the server to perform the following install instructions:
1) Login to your server as root user via SSH and make sure that all packages are up to date. You need to enter the below command to update all packages on your server.
yum -y update
2) Install php-devel and its dependencies
yum install php-devel
apt-get install php-devel
3) Download the latest stable Suhosin release from the following URL using ‘wget’
4) Extract the downloaded tar file and change the current working directory to Suhosin
tar -xvf suhosin-0.9.38.tar.gz
cd cd suhosin-0.9.38
5) Perform the below commands one by one to compile Suhosin.
configure: error: no acceptable C compiler found in $PATH
This is a common error displayed during compilation. The error code itself explains that a C compiler is required to compile Suhosin. If you ever run into this error, please use the following command to install an acceptable C compiler on your server.
yum install gcc
apt-get install gcc
6) Enter the following one-line code to add Suhosin extension to the PHP configuration file.
echo extension=suhosin.so >> /etc/php.ini
The default location for the PHP configuration file is ‘/etc/php.ini’. If the path to PHP configuration file is unknown or a different location, you can easily find it using the following command.
php -i | grep php.ini
Configuration File (php.ini) Path => /etc
Loaded Configuration File => /etc/php.ini
7) You may create a PHP info page to verify the Suhosin installation. To create a phpinfo file, open a plain text file, add the following lines, and save:
Access the PHP info page using your favorite browser
If you need any further help, please do reach our support department.