How to Use Initial Quota Setup to Enable Disk Quotas in WHM
Disk quotas will help you to track disk usage on a per-user basis and enforce the space limits you give each account. Quotas should have been enabled during the Initial Setup process. You only need to perform the steps in this tutorial if quotas weren’t enabled then. Most VPS and some dedicated servers will need quotas enabled at the operating system level before they can be set up in WHM. The Initial Quota Setup interface scans your server to confirm that it uses disk quotas on the directories in which your cPanel users store their files. This quota will not affect to MySQL databases.
You can follow the below steps to enable Initial Quota.
1) Login to WHM.
2) Navigate to “Initial Quota Setup” under “Server Configuration”.
3) You will get a warning like “Warning: enabling quotas on a machine that does not have kernel support for quotas may result in an unbootable system. This should only happen if you have compiled a custom kernel on your machine WITHOUT quota support. Proceed at your own risk”. If your kernel does not support quotas, then the problem can occur. Since your server was probably set with quota enabled. It should be safe to continue. Click “Proceed” to continue.
4) After that, it will appear a screen like the below screenshot. It will initiate a quota scan.
5) It will take a while to complete the disk scan and quota setup. After completing the process, you will find a “Done” on your screen.
6) That’s all, now disk quota will be enabled for you. This will further help you in keeping track of the hard drive and its usage.
You can also have done the same steps from the terminal.
1) Login to your server with the root password.
# ssh root@serverIP
2) Run the below cPanel script to enable the quota.
In CloudLinux 7 cPanel updates or kernel updates will break the quotas. So for fixing this issue, you need to run /scripts/fixquotas command in the terminal as root user and then you need to reboot the server to enable the changes that you made.
If you need any further help please do reach our support department.