How to Install PowerDNS in WHM and CentOS?
By Jithin on February 1st, 2017
PowerDNS is an open source DNS server software. It provides high performance with low memory requirements.
There are two types of PowerDNS nameserver:
1) Authoritative: Authoritative servers will answer about the domains it knows, but it does not resolve the queries about other domains.
2) Recursor: Recursor has no knowledge of the domains itself. It consults other authoritative servers to answer questions given to it.
Installing PowerDNS through the WHM
Perform the following steps to install PowerDNS through the WHM interface.
1) Login to WHM.
2) Click on the icon ‘Service Configuration’.
3) Click ‘Nameserver Selection’.
4) Select ‘PowerDNS’.
5) Click the ‘Save’ button.
Installing PowerDNS On CentOS
1) Make sure MySQL services are running fine.
$ service mysqld start
$ chkconfig mysqld on
2) Install and enable EPEL repository.
3) Install PowerDNS.
$ yum install pdns pdns-backend-mysql bind-utils
4) Start powerdns service.
$ service pdns start
$ chkconfig pdns on
5) If you want to edit configuration file of PowerDNS open the below file:
$ vi /etc/pdns/pdns.conf
6) Enter the following command to check PowerDNS is working:
$ dig @127.0.0.1
$ dig @localhost
Advantages of PowerDNS
1) Advanced high performance authoritative nameserver with a host of back-end.
2) It can read information from MySQL, Oracle, PostgreSQL and many other databases.
4) Full IPv6 support.
5) Low memory requirements.
6) DNSSEC support.
7) Debugging tools.
If you need any further assistance please contact our support department.