How to Quickly Switch Between Users in WordPress
By Adarsh Sojitra on February 21st, 2022
User switching is important for many reasons. Many times, You have to log out as one user and log in as another to do other work. Maybe you need to help your team members. The situations can be unlimited. If you are in one of those situations where you have to switch user accounts multiple times. Or you have to switch to different users with a lot of unpredictability. We have a Free solution for you.
The process is handy for test environments where you regularly log out and between different accounts or administrators who need to switch between multiple accounts.
User management allows account owners and admins to manage their users by adding, deleting, and assigning roles and add-on features. Instantly switch to any user account from the Users screen. The plugin is also compatible with WordPress, WordPress Multisite, WooCommerce, BuddyPress, bbPress, and most two-factor authentication plugins. However, it allows only users with the ability to edit; other users can switch user accounts. By default, this is only administrators on single-site installations and Super Admins on Multisite installations.
User Switching makes use of browser cookies to allow users to switch to another account. Its cookies operate using the exact mechanism as the authentication cookies in WordPress core. Therefore their values contain the user’s identification field in plain text, which should be treated as potentially personally identifiable information. User switching is secure as it does not share the user identification information like cookies to any 3rd party server/device. Finally, Let’s discuss the features of this plugin in brief. Then, We will show you How to install and utilise the plugin.
- User Switching has the ability Switchback: Instantly switch back to your originating Accoaccountitching between users is secure.
- The plugin is compatible with WordPress, WordPress Multisite, WooCommerce, BuddyPress, bbPress, and most two-factor authentication plugins.
- You can easily switch users. It lets you instantly switch to any user account from the Users screen.
- Moreover, you can quickly switch it off as well. It means that if you have logged out of your account but retain the ability to switch back in instantly.
- However, it allows only users with the ability to edit other users to switch user accounts. So, by default, this is set only for administrators on single-site installations and Super Admins on Multisite installations.
- It comes with high security for passwords. It doesn’t reveal the passwords.
- Also, You can use the cookie authentication system in WordPress when remembering the account you’ve switched from and when switching back.
- The plugin also implements the nonce security system in WordPress, meaning only those who intend to switch users can switch.
- You will have full support for user session validation where appropriate and administration over SSL.
- The plugin does not send data to any third party, nor does it include any third-party resources.
- The User Switching plugin is entirely free to use. So, you don’t have to pay for the extra features.
User Switching is one of the effective User management plugins for WordPress sites. The plugin is free to use, but it provides a premium version as well. The plugin is available in the WordPress plugin directory for free. The free version has all the essential features to create a practical User Switching.
How to Install and Activate User Switching Plugin
The installation process is Straightforward. You can follow the simple steps mentioned below to install and activate the plugin.
Step 1: First, Log in to your WordPress dashboard as an Administrator. Make sure you have plugin installation permission as a user.
Step 2: Now, Click on the “Plugins” option on the left-hand side panel of the WordPress dashboard. Then click on the “Add New” option.
Step 3: You will see a search bar on the top right-hand side corner of the dashboard. Now, Search “User Switching Plugin”.
Step 4: After that, you need to click on “Install Now.”
Step 5: After installation, you will need to activate the User Switching Plugin in order to use it on your site. Now, click on “Activate.”
Now you have successfully installed and activated the plugin. You can easily switch to any users you want with a single click within the dashboard using this plugin.
How to Switch Users in Single Click From WordPress Dashboard Using User Switching Plugin
After activating the plugin on your site, you can start using this plugin on your site. You can set up the plugin easily with just a few clicks. We have explained step by step guide below on how to use the User Switching Plugin,
Step 1: First of all, go to the “Users” option on the left-hand side panel of the WordPress dashboard. Then select the “Profile” option.
Step 2: After that, you will have a user editor panel. You can modify the personal options from this section. In this section, you will get the “User Switching” link to the user’s profile.
Step 3: If you want to enable the “Switch option“, you will have to allow it from the profile options. Check whether the “Switch To” link is there in the “All Users” option. The “Switch To” link will be successfully enabled in the users’ section. This way, you can easily switch the users from the WordPress dashboard using this plugin.
The User Switching Plugin is an effective solution to switch the users with one click. You can easily change the user from the WordPress dashboard. You can install and activate from the WordPress plugin directory for free. Additionally, you can also instantly switch back to your originating account if you have logged out of your account but retain the ability to change back in again quickly.
Moreover, the plugin is compatible with WordPress, WordPress Multisite, WooCommerce, BuddyPress, bbPress, and most two-factor authentication plugins. Also, It allows only users with the ability to edit other users to switch user accounts. By default, the option is only Administrators on single-site installations and Super Admins on Multisite installations. It comes with full support for user validation and administration over SSL.
The installation and the setup process are very straightforward. You can follow the steps mentioned below to install and activate the plugin. Also, we have explained step by step guide on how to set up this plugin. We hope this article will help you switch the users on the front end of your site using the User Switching plugin.